1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimeded problem

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    I can't really understand Archimedes principle..I mean i know how it works in water but i am totally clueless when it comes to air question.Here is a question:

A balloon having a mass of 120 kg and volume of 400mcube is filled with helium gas of density 0.18kg m to the power of -3.The density of the surrounding air is 1.28kg m to the power of -3.What is the maximum load that can be lifted up by the balloon?Answer:320kg

How do you solve this question?Also can someone please tell me how to count air question..My exam is a few days away:confused:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    dude draw the FBD of the balloon the lift force is pgv where p is density of air,g is 9.81 and v is volume of air displaced or u can say volume of balloon. i think u can find the ans from there right?

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    I keep getting 392kg whereas the answer is 320kg.I have been spending an hour here

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget to consider the mass of the helium itself.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #5
    so basically,you count the buoyancy force first and then later subtract the weight of the balloon and helium gas?

7. Oct 3, 2006 #6
    hmm.....i got exactly 320kg maybe calculation error?

8. Oct 3, 2006 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. Whatever is left over is the additional load that can be lifted.

9. Oct 3, 2006 #8
    oh,i see then..thank you everyone.Everyone have been a great help
    Just,one last question.The force acting downwards is the buoyancy force right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?