How Does Archimedes' Estimation of Pi Hold for n=4, 8, 16, 32, ...?

In summary, the given relationship holds for $n = 4, 8, 16, 32, \dots$ and has been proven by substituting points and observing that it holds. By simplifying the equation and considering the geometric representations of $A_n / n$ and $A_{2n} / n$, the problem can be reduced to a geometric statement about triangles. The solution will be shared at a later time when it has been assessed for accuracy.
nacho-man
It has been eons since I've done any trigonometry, but I just can't prove how this following relationship holds for $n = 4, 8, 16, 32, \dots$

The relation is:
$$
2 \biggl( \! \frac{A_{2n}}{n} \! \biggr)^2 = \, 1 - \Biggl( \sqrt{1 - \frac{2A_n^{\phantom{X}}}{n}} \, \Biggr)^{\!2}
$$

I've subbed in points, and it definitely holds.

Using this image as reference, a polygon with $n$ edges and $A_n$ the entire area, we can estimate (albeit very slowly) a unit circle's area.View attachment 4126Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• kk.jpg
    kk.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 60
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In your equation the right-hand-side takes a square root and then immediately squares the result, what does that amount to? Once you've simplified your equation using that fact, think about what $A_n / n$ and $A_{2n} / n$ represent geometrically, and you can then perhaps reduce the algebra problem to a geometric statement about triangles.

Bacterius said:
In your equation the right-hand-side takes a square root and then immediately squares the result, what does that amount to? Once you've simplified your equation using that fact, think about what $A_n / n$ and $A_{2n} / n$ represent geometrically, and you can then perhaps reduce the algebra problem to a geometric statement about triangles.
I have solved this problem now.

nacho said:
I have solved this problem now.

Great! It's good etiquette to post your solution so that future visitors who come across this thread can also benefit from it :)

Bacterius said:
Great! It's good etiquette to post your solution so that future visitors who come across this thread can also benefit from it :)

Yes! definitely.

I will post the solution some time next week, when my work has been assessed (don't want to post a solution with errors and mislead someone :( )

1. What is Archimedes estimation of pi?

Archimedes estimation of pi is a mathematical method used to calculate an approximate value for the mathematical constant pi (π). It was developed by the Greek mathematician Archimedes in the 3rd century BC.

2. How does Archimedes estimation of pi work?

Archimedes' method involves inscribing a regular polygon inside a circle and then circumscribing a similar polygon outside the circle. By increasing the number of sides of the polygons, the perimeter of the polygons gets closer to the circumference of the circle, thus providing a more accurate estimate for pi.

3. What is the accuracy of Archimedes estimation of pi?

The accuracy of Archimedes estimation of pi depends on the number of sides of the inscribed and circumscribed polygons. The more sides there are, the closer the estimation will be to the actual value of pi. With a 96-sided polygon, Archimedes was able to calculate pi to three decimal places (3.141).

4. How is Archimedes estimation of pi different from other methods?

Archimedes' method of estimating pi is one of the earliest known methods and is based on geometric principles. Other methods, such as the infinite series method, were developed much later and involve algebraic and trigonometric calculations.

5. What is the significance of Archimedes estimation of pi?

Archimedes' estimation of pi was a significant achievement in the field of mathematics as it provided a more accurate value for pi than previous estimations. It also paved the way for the development of other methods for calculating pi and helped lay the foundation for the study of calculus.