Understanding Archimedes Principle: Observing Bubble Size in Rising Water Column

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation that the diameter of bubbles increases as they rise in a deep column of water. The person asking for clarification wonders if this is related to Archimedes' principle or Pascal's principle, but it is actually more closely related to the relationship between pressure and volume in an ideal gas and the change in pressure as the bubble rises in the fluid.
domyy

Homework Statement

It`s not to calculate, actually, I am just trying to understand this. I think it has to do with Archimedes Principle, but could anyone explain the following more clearer to me?

"It`s observed that as bubbles rise in a deep column of water, the diameter of the bubbles increases."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think it's particularly related to Archimedes' principle. Instead, think of the bubble as being an ideal gas. How are pressure and volume related? How does pressure in the fluid change as the bubble rises?

does it have to do with Pascal`s then?

domyy said:
does it have to do with Pascal`s then?
Not especially. It has to do with static pressure in a fluid. What does it depend on?

Yes, you are correct. This phenomenon can be explained by Archimedes Principle, which states that an object immersed in a fluid experiences an upward buoyant force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. In this case, the bubbles are rising through the water column, and as they do so, they are displacing more and more water. This results in an increase in the upward buoyant force acting on the bubbles, causing them to expand in size. This can also be seen in other objects, such as a balloon rising in the air. As it rises, it is displacing more and more air, causing it to expand. I hope this helps to clarify the concept for you.

1. What is the Archimedes Principle?

The Archimedes Principle states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How can I use the Archimedes Principle to solve problems?

To use the Archimedes Principle in problem solving, you must first determine the weight of the fluid that the object displaces, and then compare it to the weight of the object itself. If the weight of the fluid is greater, the object will float; if the weight of the object is greater, the object will sink.

3. What is the formula for calculating buoyancy using the Archimedes Principle?

The formula for calculating buoyancy using the Archimedes Principle is: B = ρVg, where B is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the fluid displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the Archimedes Principle be applied to objects in air?

Yes, the Archimedes Principle can be applied to objects in any fluid, including air. However, in air, the buoyant force is much smaller compared to the weight of the object, making it negligible in most cases.

5. How did Archimedes discover the principle named after him?

According to legend, Archimedes discovered the principle while taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose as he got into the tub, and realized that the weight of his body was being balanced by the weight of the water he displaced. This led to his famous exclamation, "Eureka!" meaning "I have found it!" in Greek.