What is the density of the body in Archimedes' Principle problem?

In summary, Archimedes principle is a physical law that states an object immersed in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. It is commonly used in problem solving to calculate the buoyant force on an object in a fluid, and to determine the volume of a submerged object by measuring its weight and dividing it by the fluid's density. According to this principle, the greater the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force. Archimedes principle can also be applied to fluids other than water, such as air, oil, and molten metal.
chmate
Hello all!

Inside the water, body weights two times less than in air. Density of water is 1000kg/m^3. Find the density of body.

1. Well I tried this solution and I'm not sure if it's correct. I started from this principle [tex]Fa=W/2[/tex] (inside water force equals weight of the body divided by two). Then:

[tex]\rho 1[/tex] -> density of water
[tex]\rho 2[/tex] -> density of body
[tex]V[/tex] -> volume

[tex]\rho 1 gV=\dfrac{\rho 2gV}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\rho 1=\dfrac{\rho 2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\rho 2=2\rho 1[/tex]

Anything wrong?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

What is Archimedes principle and what does it state?

Archimedes principle is a physical law that states that an object immersed in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

How is Archimedes principle used in problem solving?

Archimedes principle is commonly used to calculate the buoyant force acting on an object in a fluid, which helps determine whether the object will float or sink.

How do you determine the volume of a submerged object using Archimedes principle?

To determine the volume of a submerged object using Archimedes principle, you need to measure the weight of the object while it is submerged and then divide that weight by the density of the fluid it is submerged in.

What is the relationship between density and buoyant force according to Archimedes principle?

According to Archimedes principle, the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Therefore, the greater the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force.

Can Archimedes principle be applied to fluids other than water?

Yes, Archimedes principle can be applied to any fluid, as long as the density of the fluid is known. This principle has been used to study the behavior of objects in various fluids, including air, oil, and even molten metal.