It is found that a 3.70-kg aluminum ball has an apparent mass of 2.20 kg when submerged in a particular liquid.
Calculate the density of this liquid in kg/m3.
The Attempt at a Solution
1. Look-up density of Al: density=2.7*10^3 kg/m^3
2. Volume of ball=(mall ball)/(density of ball)=0.00137m^3
3. Bouyancy force on ball=2.2*9.81=21.582N=weight of fluid displaced (Archimede's principle)
4. So the mass of 0.00137m^3 of the fluid can be solved by...
weight of fluid=(mass of fluid)g
mass of fluid=2.2kg
5. density of fluid=(mass fluid)/(volume of fluid)=1606 kg/m^3...
Did I use the apparent mass correctly in step 3?