Calculating the Mass of a Piece of Glass Using Archimedes' Principle

In summary, when water is replaced by alcohol, 0.84gms must be added to the pan from which the metal is suspended to restore balance.
soumya_26in
1.a piece of metal of weight 20gms has equal apparent weight with a piece of glass when both are suspended from the arms of a balance and immersed in water(density 1).if water is replaced by alcohol(density 0.96), 0.84gms must be added to the pan from which the metal is suspended to restore balance.what is the mass of the glass piece?

2.a cube with each side of unit length has the same force F applied normally outwards on all its six faces.what are the expressions of longitudinal & volume strain in terms of the elastic modulii?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi soumya! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You must tell us how far you've got, so that we know what's troubling you, and how to help.

Start with the balance … what have you tried?

What equations have you got? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi soumya! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You must tell us how far you've got, so that we know what's troubling you, and how to help.

Start with the balance … what have you tried?

What equations have you got? :smile:

actually both prblms were in my class eleven's final Q paper.i have tried 1) as follows:
1)let,
mass of the glass piece=m gms
In 1st case, apparent wt of metal=(20-20/d1),d1=density of the metal
& apparent wt of glass=(m-m/d2),d2=density of the glass
by the prblm,
20-20/d1=m-m/d2.....(i)
In case 2, apparent wt of metal=[20-(20+0.84)*0.96/d1]
& apparent wt of glass=(m-m*0.96/d2)
by the prblm,
[20-(20.84*0.96)/d1]=(m-m*0.96/d2)....(ii)
is this process write?

actually both prblms were in my class eleven's final Q paper.i have tried 1) as follows:
1)let,
mass of the glass piece=m gms
In 1st case, apparent wt of metal=(20-20/d1),d1=density of the metal
& apparent wt of glass=(m-m/d2),d2=density of the glass
by the prblm,
20-20/d1=m-m/d2.....(i)
In case 2, apparent wt of metal=[20-(20+0.84)*0.96/d1]
& apparent wt of glass=(m-m*0.96/d2)
by the prblm,
[20-(20.84*0.96)/d1]=(m-m*0.96/d2)....(ii)
is this process write?

soumya_26in said:
apparent wt of metal=(20-20/d1),d1=density of the metal

No.

(You understand, I can't give you the answer, I can only help you do it yourself? So …)

20 is the mass of the metal, but d1 is the mass/volume of the water - so 20/d1 isn't anything.

Start again. Do it one step at a time.

First: what is Archimedes principle?

How exactly does it reduce the weight of the metal? What does it depend on? Are there any unknowns?

Same for the glass.

What equation can you write? :smile:

(How did you manage to post twice? :smile: If you click on "edit" under the second post, I think it gives you the option of deleting.)

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is a physical law that states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In simpler terms, it explains why objects float or sink in a fluid.

Who discovered Archimedes' principle?

The principle is named after the ancient Greek mathematician, physicist, and engineer, Archimedes, who first described it in his work "On Floating Bodies".

What is the significance of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is important in understanding the behavior of objects submerged in fluids, such as ships, submarines, and hot air balloons. It also has applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry.

What is the formula for calculating buoyant force using Archimedes' principle?

The formula is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula can be used to determine whether an object will float or sink in a given fluid.

Does Archimedes' principle apply to all fluids?

Yes, Archimedes' principle applies to all fluids, including liquids and gases. However, the density and viscosity of the fluid may affect the accuracy of the calculations.