1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes Principle

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a 6500kg iceberg is afloat in the sea. the icebergs density is 930kg/m^3 and the sea water has density of 1030kg/m^3
    a) find the buoyant force on the iceberg
    the volume of water displaced and the fraction of the icebergs volume that is below the waterline.

2. Relevant equations

F_B=x_displaced=rho g V

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have no idea how to do this i thought that maybe since its not sinking its in equilibrium relative to something but i have no idea if thats even right or not.. thanks for any help in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

You are on the right track. It is pulled down by gravity, and pushed up by buoyancy - these are two forces in equilibrium. One of these is very easy to calculate from the data given - that gives you the other one (they are in equilibrium, which means they are identical).
  4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    ok thank you i cant believe i missed that - problem solved thanks to you and PF!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook