Solving Archimedes Principle: 6500kg Iceberg in Sea

In summary, we have a 6500kg iceberg afloat in the sea with a density of 930kg/m^3. The sea water has a density of 1030kg/m^3. To find the buoyant force on the iceberg, we can use the equation F_B = ρgV, where ρ is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and V is the volume of water displaced. Since the iceberg is in equilibrium, the buoyant force is equal to the force of gravity pulling it down. Using this information, we can also find the volume of water displaced and the fraction of the iceberg's volume that is below the waterline.
pat666

Homework Statement

a 6500kg iceberg is afloat in the sea. the icebergs density is 930kg/m^3 and the sea water has density of 1030kg/m^3
a) find the buoyant force on the iceberg
the volume of water displaced and the fraction of the icebergs volume that is below the waterline.

Homework Equations

F_B=x_displaced=rho g V

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to do this i thought that maybe since its not sinking its in equilibrium relative to something but i have no idea if that's even right or not.. thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. It is pulled down by gravity, and pushed up by buoyancy - these are two forces in equilibrium. One of these is very easy to calculate from the data given - that gives you the other one (they are in equilibrium, which means they are identical).

ok thank you i can't believe i missed that - problem solved thanks to you and PF!

What is Archimedes Principle?

Archimedes Principle states that the buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How does Archimedes Principle apply to the scenario of a 6500kg iceberg in the sea?

In this scenario, the weight of the iceberg is equal to the weight of the water that it displaces. This is because the buoyant force acting on the iceberg is equal to its weight, according to Archimedes Principle.

What factors affect the buoyant force on the iceberg?

The buoyant force on the iceberg is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the submerged portion of the iceberg, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How can the volume of the submerged portion of the iceberg be calculated?

The volume of the submerged portion of the iceberg can be calculated by dividing the weight of the iceberg by the density of the fluid. This will give the volume of water that the iceberg displaces, which is equal to the volume of the submerged portion of the iceberg.

What other principles or laws are related to Archimedes Principle?

Other principles or laws related to Archimedes Principle include Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a fluid in a closed container is transmitted equally throughout the fluid, and Bernoulli's Principle, which explains the relationship between fluid speed and pressure. These principles all contribute to our understanding of fluid mechanics and how objects interact with fluids.