Finding Tension in a Submerged Ball Using Archimedes' Principle

In summary: The tension in the string is equal to the mass of the object times the acceleration due to gravity, or g*m_b
Soaring Crane
A ball of mass m_b and volume V is lowered on a string into a fluid of density p_f . Assume that the object would sink to the bottom if it were not supported by the string. What is the tension T in the string when the ball is fully submerged but not touching the bottom? Express your answer (T) in terms of the given quantities and g , the acceleration due to gravity.

Although the fact may be obscured by the presence of a liquid, the basic condition for equilibrium still holds: The net force on the ball must be zero.

Here are the steps that I went through:
Compute the mass m_f of the fluid displaced by the object when it is entirely submerged.
Express your answer in terms of p_f, v, m_b, and g.

m_f = p_f*V

f_buoyant = p_f* V * g

How do I get from here to finding the tension?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the problem states: The net force on the ball must be zero. So what are the forces acting on the ball? (Hint: Three forces act on the ball.)

Tension of string, m_b*g, and F_buoyancy?

Right. Now write the equation that relates them and solve for Tension.

So these 3 forces must add up to 0?
I don't think this is right (both the signs and equation I'm unsure of), but would it be

F_T + m_b*g + p_f* V * g (F_buo) = 0, where p_f = m_f/V

Then isolate F_T to solve for the answer?

Yes, the forces add to 0. But don't forget that forces are vectors: Direction matters! (Which way do the forces act?) Be sure to use a consistent sign convention: For example, let forces acting upward be positive; downward, negative. Then rewrite your equation.

The answer for F_T does not depend on m_f. What am I supposed to do now?

What I did

F_t - (m_b*g) + f_buo = 0

F_T = (m_b*g) - F_buo , F_buo = g*m_f

F_T = g(m_b - m_f)

but this is wrong

Last edited:
Never mind; got it! Thanks.

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is a scientific law that states that the buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Who discovered Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle was discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician and physicist, Archimedes, in the 3rd century BC.

What is the significance of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is important in understanding the behavior of objects in fluids, such as water or air. It is also essential in designing and building ships, submarines, and other floating or submerged objects.

How does Archimedes' principle relate to buoyancy?

Archimedes' principle explains the concept of buoyancy, which is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is partially or completely submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

What are some real-world applications of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as determining the size and shape of a ship's hull to ensure it will float correctly, designing submarines that can control their depth by adjusting their buoyancy, and creating life jackets and other flotation devices for safety in water activities.