Solve Archimedes Problem: Find Crown's Density

• Thread starter Dipra Irham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem about the density of a gold crown and the confusion surrounding the use of weight and mass. The solution involves calculating the volume and density of the crown and using the weight of the crown in air and when immersed in water. There is also a discussion about the units used and the possible methods used by Archimedes to determine if the crown was made of pure gold.
Dipra Irham
I have got a question in my physics book.The question goes like that:
(Let's suppose the weight of the gold crown of Archimedes is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water.What is the density of the crown? )
The solution says:
If the volume of the crown is V and density is p then,
Vp=10 kg
Vp-(Vp of water)=9.4 kg
Vp of water = Vp - 9.4 kg= 0.6 kg
so, V = 0.6 kg / density of water
=0.6 kg÷10^3 kg/m^3= 0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
Therefore, p = 10 kg / V
= 10 kg/0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
=16666 Kg /m^3
my question is, why Vp =10 kg?(it should be Vp times acceleration due to gravity,since weight = mass X acceleration due to gravity)

Attachments

• IMG_20180603_230146.jpg
    IMG_20180603_230146.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
Dipra Irham said:
I have got a question in my physics book.The question goes like that:
(Let's suppose the weight of the gold crown of Archimedes is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water.
Technically, the mass of the gold crown is 10 kg in air. The crown would have the same mass on the moon with its lower gravity, but its weight would be less. The proper unit of weight in this problem would be Nt (Newtons).

Immersing the crown in water wouldn't change its mass.
Dipra Irham said:
What is the density of the crown? )
The solution says:
If the volume of the crown is V and density is p then,
Vp=10 kg
Vp-(Vp of water)=9.4 kg
Vp of water = Vp - 9.4 kg= 0.6 kg
so, V = 0.6 kg / density of water
=0.6 kg÷10^3 kg/m^3= 0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
Therefore, p = 10 kg / V
= 10 kg/0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
=16666 Kg /m^3
my question is, why Vp =10 kg?(it should be Vp times acceleration due to gravity,since weight = mass X acceleration due to gravity)
The density here apparently is in units of ##\frac{\text{kg}}{m^3}##. Multiplying V and p results in units of kg. It's hard to tell what they're trying to say in this problem, as the units being used don't make sense.

BTW, the image you posted is too small to be readable, and part of it is in shadow, which makes it even less useful.

Likes Dipra Irham
The only error I see is in this opening statement: "weight ... is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water."
That can be corrected either by including the factor g: "10g kg in air and 9.4g kg when immersed in water"
or by changing "kg" to "kg-weight".
Either way, the first equation becomes Vρg=10g kg, but the g's immediately cancel to give Vρ=10 kg.

Likes Dipra Irham
I would note that, in the time of Archimedes, Newtons were far in the future and so was the value of g. The "weighing" process was most likely conducted using an equal arms scale with an amount of gold equal to what was given to the craftsman in one pan and the crown in the other. In air they would balance, but with both pans immersed they would not if the crown were adulterated. In short it makes sense to imagine that Archimedes conducted what we now call a null measurement.

Likes Dipra Irham
haruspex said:
The only error I see is in this opening statement: "weight ... is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water."
That can be corrected either by including the factor g: "10g kg in air and 9.4g kg when immersed in water"
or by changing "kg" to "kg-weight".
Either way, the first equation becomes Vρg=10g kg, but the g's immediately cancel to give Vρ=10 kg.
Thanks for your help.

1. What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle is a scientific law that states that the buoyant force on an object immersed in fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is the basis for understanding how objects float or sink in a fluid.

2. How can Archimedes' Principle be applied to find the density of a crown?

To find the density of a crown using Archimedes' Principle, the crown is first weighed in air and then completely immersed in a fluid of known density. The difference in weight between the crown in air and in the fluid is used to calculate the volume of fluid displaced by the crown. The density of the crown can then be calculated by dividing its mass by the volume of fluid displaced.

3. What materials are needed to solve Archimedes' Problem and find the density of a crown?

The materials needed include a crown, a balance scale, a known density fluid (such as water), and a container large enough to completely immerse the crown in the fluid. Additionally, a calculator or other device for performing mathematical calculations may be helpful.

4. Are there any limitations to using Archimedes' Principle to find the density of a crown?

Yes, there are some limitations. Archimedes' Principle assumes that the object being measured is a perfect solid with a uniform density, which may not be the case for a crown. Additionally, if the crown is not completely immersed in the fluid, the calculations may not be accurate.

5. Can Archimedes' Principle be used to find the density of any object?

Yes, Archimedes' Principle can be used to find the density of any object, as long as it can be completely immersed in a fluid and the object's volume can be accurately determined. This principle has been used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.