• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Archimedes problem

I have got a question in my physics book.The question goes like that:
(Let's suppose the weight of the gold crown of Archimedes is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water.What is the density of the crown? )
The solution says:
If the volume of the crown is V and density is p then,
Vp=10 kg
Vp-(Vp of water)=9.4 kg
Vp of water = Vp - 9.4 kg= 0.6 kg
so, V = 0.6 kg / density of water
=0.6 kg÷10^3 kg/m^3= 0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
Therefore, p = 10 kg / V
= 10 kg/0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
=16666 Kg /m^3
my question is, why Vp =10 kg?(it should be Vp times acceleration due to gravity,since weight = mass X acceleration due to gravity)

Attachments

Answers and Replies

I have got a question in my physics book.The question goes like that:
(Let's suppose the weight of the gold crown of Archimedes is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water.
Technically, the mass of the gold crown is 10 kg in air. The crown would have the same mass on the moon with its lower gravity, but its weight would be less. The proper unit of weight in this problem would be Nt (Newtons).

Immersing the crown in water wouldn't change its mass.
Dipra Irham said:
What is the density of the crown? )
The solution says:
If the volume of the crown is V and density is p then,
Vp=10 kg
Vp-(Vp of water)=9.4 kg
Vp of water = Vp - 9.4 kg= 0.6 kg
so, V = 0.6 kg / density of water
=0.6 kg÷10^3 kg/m^3= 0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
Therefore, p = 10 kg / V
= 10 kg/0.6 X 10^ -3m^3
=16666 Kg /m^3
my question is, why Vp =10 kg?(it should be Vp times acceleration due to gravity,since weight = mass X acceleration due to gravity)
The density here apparently is in units of ##\frac{\text{kg}}{m^3}##. Multiplying V and p results in units of kg. It's hard to tell what they're trying to say in this problem, as the units being used don't make sense.

BTW, the image you posted is too small to be readable, and part of it is in shadow, which makes it even less useful.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The only error I see is in this opening statement: "weight ... is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water."
That can be corrected either by including the factor g: "10g kg in air and 9.4g kg when immersed in water"
or by changing "kg" to "kg-weight".
Either way, the first equation becomes Vρg=10g kg, but the g's immediately cancel to give Vρ=10 kg.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I would note that, in the time of Archimedes, Newtons were far in the future and so was the value of g. The "weighing" process was most likely conducted using an equal arms scale with an amount of gold equal to what was given to the craftsman in one pan and the crown in the other. In air they would balance, but with both pans immersed they would not if the crown were adulterated. In short it makes sense to imagine that Archimedes conducted what we now call a null measurement.

The only error I see is in this opening statement: "weight ... is 10 kg in air and 9.4 kg when immersed in water."
That can be corrected either by including the factor g: "10g kg in air and 9.4g kg when immersed in water"
or by changing "kg" to "kg-weight".
Either way, the first equation becomes Vρg=10g kg, but the g's immediately cancel to give Vρ=10 kg.
Thanks for your help.