Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes research

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm beginning a research project for a Math History class on Archimedes. Since technically it is a math class, I have to demonstrate and explain some of his math. Naturally, I can't explain and go into detail on everything the man did, and having only about a month to prepare it, I can't read and truly understand everything he worked on or wrote. Could you guys give me some recommendations on interesting topics he covered? Maybe 3 or 4 could get me started.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    I recommend the book The Archimedes Codex, especially the chapter that explains how he found the area of a parabola. The book also talks about his concept of infinity.

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4
    Archimedes is a dual contributor, Geometry/Mathematics and Physics. One of his Geometry exploits was finding the maximum area cone in a sphere. He also gave the first approximation for Pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook