1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes research

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm beginning a research project for a Math History class on Archimedes. Since technically it is a math class, I have to demonstrate and explain some of his math. Naturally, I can't explain and go into detail on everything the man did, and having only about a month to prepare it, I can't read and truly understand everything he worked on or wrote. Could you guys give me some recommendations on interesting topics he covered? Maybe 3 or 4 could get me started.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    I recommend the book The Archimedes Codex, especially the chapter that explains how he found the area of a parabola. The book also talks about his concept of infinity.

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4
    Archimedes is a dual contributor, Geometry/Mathematics and Physics. One of his Geometry exploits was finding the maximum area cone in a sphere. He also gave the first approximation for Pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook