1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes' rule that area of a parabola is 4/3 times an inscribed triangle

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ABC be a piece of a parabola. The point B is chosen such that the tangent to the parabola at B is parallel to the line AC. Archimedes proved the Area of parabola inside ABC is 4/3 times the triangle ABC. Prove this using calculus

2. Relevant equations
    The integral from a to c (Where pt A=(a,a^2), pt B=(b,b^2), and pt C=(c,c^2)) of (x^2)-(x+c)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been trying to figure this out for hours. I know you can assume the parabola to be in the standard form y=x^2 without loss of generality because the problem relies on ratios of areas. And from this, I thought you could assume the segment AC has standard form y=x+c. Then, since we are looking for area, we could use the method of area between two curves, which is why I feel like the integral from a to c of (x+c)-(x^2) would be right. But when I calculate this, it should end up looking something like 4/3(base*height*1/2) and it definitely doesnt look that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?