Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes Screw

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am wondering whether an Archimedes screw generator would work in a pulsating environment. What I mean by this is does the screw require constant flow in order to generate electrcity? Or could I put such a screw in a pressure driven yet zero-head environment(similar to blood flow)?

Also, what is the equation for the amount of power such a screw would generate in relation to it's size, surface area, inclination, pressure and speed of the fluid passing through it?

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2
    I think it would be very inefficient, as the screw works by a vector component of the weight of the water driving continuously sideways as the water makes its way down. In a simple flow situation, after a few turns it is the water that will be moving sideways (spirally), and due to fluid friction, might even turn the screw the 'wrong' way. That's the way I see it in my mind visually, anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook