1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes Screw

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am wondering whether an Archimedes screw generator would work in a pulsating environment. What I mean by this is does the screw require constant flow in order to generate electrcity? Or could I put such a screw in a pressure driven yet zero-head environment(similar to blood flow)?

Also, what is the equation for the amount of power such a screw would generate in relation to it's size, surface area, inclination, pressure and speed of the fluid passing through it?

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2
    I think it would be very inefficient, as the screw works by a vector component of the weight of the water driving continuously sideways as the water makes its way down. In a simple flow situation, after a few turns it is the water that will be moving sideways (spirally), and due to fluid friction, might even turn the screw the 'wrong' way. That's the way I see it in my mind visually, anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook