1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedian Property proof

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    Statement to prove:
    If x > 0, show there exists n in N (the set of all natural numbers) such that 1/(2^n) < x.

My work on the proof so far:
    Let x > 0. By the Archimedian Property, we know if ε > 0, there exists an n in N such that 1/n < ε.
    Take x = ε . So there exists an n in N such that 1/n < x.

That is as far as I've gotten. I am stuck as to how I can algebraically manipulate the inequality to get the 2 in there somehow and to get the final form of 1/(2^n) < x.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show 2^n>n for n>1?

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    That statement 2^n > n sounds familiar. I think we proved something like that using math induction before. So if I can state that, then it would be helpful in finishing the proof, right?

Thanks for looking!

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since that would mean 1/2^n<1/n, I think it would be extremely helpful. You're welcome.

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5
    Thanks again for the help!

I think I got it [I have a proof within a proof]:

My proof: Let x > 0. By induction 2^n > n
    (Proof: Base case: for n = 1, 2^1 > 1. Check. Inductive step: Assume true for n = k, k a natural number. That is 2^k > k is true. To show this true for k + 1, we need to show 2^(k+1) > k +1 which implies 2*2^k > k +1. By assumption that 2^k > k, then 2*2^k > 2k. But for all k ≥ 1, 2k ≥ k + 1, so
    2^(k+1) > 2k ≥ k+1. Therefore 2^(k+1) > k + 1, and 2^n > n. QED)
    So since 2^n > n, then 1/2^n < 1/n. By the Archimedian Property, 1/n < x. Therefore
    1/2^n < 1/n < x which implies 1/2^n < x. QED.

7. Oct 5, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You nailed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?