1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arclength in polar coordinates

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    I am working on a problem regarding arclength-which asks to find the arclength for r=2-2sinx (x=theta) I worked out the integral to the integral of the square root of 8-8sinx but i didnt know how to integrate from there--any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2
    I am not 100% sure, but can't you factor out the 8 and then take that outside the integral sign which would leave you with the integral of 1-sinx dx?, or 8(integral of (1-sinx)dx).
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  4. Oct 30, 2006 #3
    I don't think this will produce anything productive. Judging by the answer my 89 spewed out, it's a difficult substitution and/or trig identity problem. Wish I could help!
  5. Oct 30, 2006 #4
    Well, I integrated 8-8sinx dx and got 8cosx+8x+C. I failed to see that it was the square root of that. Sorry about that and thanks for catching that vsage.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?