Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arclength in polar coordinates?

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    You know this should be simple but it's just not. A friend asked me this earlier and I was unable to disprove him. We're all aware of how one derives the area of a polar equation.. it's [tex] \pi r^2 \frac {\theta}{2 \pi}[/tex] and make theta infinitely small and integrate. Why can't a similar process be performed to find the arclength? IE [tex] 2 \pi r \frac{\theta}{2 \pi}[/tex] and make theta infinitely small and integrate. Obviously I can't derive this from rectangular coordinates because it only works for constant r but I just can't seem to disprove it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    Nevermind I think I solved it. The arclength formula he proposed to be when interpreted graphically had gaps between the lengths of r(d(theta)) and it was losing arclength that way. (edit here's my rendition, in case someone is stumped like I was). The figure is supposed to be a small section of curve with r varying.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2004
  4. Oct 28, 2004 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you are trying to do but in the case of area you are changing both r and [itex]\theta[/itex] so that [itex]dA = dr \times r d\theta[/itex] whereas for path length you change r and [itex]\theta[/itex] according to Pythagoras being applied to infinitesimal displacements so that [itex]ds = \sqrt {dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2}[/itex].

5. Oct 29, 2004 #4
    Yeah I guess what threw me off at first was that r = sqrt(x^2+y^2) in rectangular coordinates so I figured the pathagorean theorem was already being applied (which it wasn't). Thanks for your input.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?