Arclength in polar coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between finding the area and the arclength of a polar equation. While the area can be calculated using \pi r^2 \frac {\theta}{2 \pi}, the arclength cannot be found using a similar process. This is because the arclength formula proposed by the friend has gaps between the lengths of r(d(theta)), causing the loss of arclength. The correct formula for arclength is ds = \sqrt {dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2}, which applies Pythagoras' theorem to infinitesimal displacements. It is also noted that the friend initially thought the Pythagorean theorem was already being applied due to the use of r =
vsage
You know this should be simple but it's just not. A friend asked me this earlier and I was unable to disprove him. We're all aware of how one derives the area of a polar equation.. it's [tex] \pi r^2 \frac {\theta}{2 \pi}[/tex] and make theta infinitely small and integrate. Why can't a similar process be performed to find the arclength? IE [tex] 2 \pi r \frac{\theta}{2 \pi}[/tex] and make theta infinitely small and integrate. Obviously I can't derive this from rectangular coordinates because it only works for constant r but I just can't seem to disprove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I think I solved it. The arclength formula he proposed to be when interpreted graphically had gaps between the lengths of r(d(theta)) and it was losing arclength that way. (edit here's my rendition, in case someone is stumped like I was). The figure is supposed to be a small section of curve with r varying.

Attachments

• weird.bmp
    40.4 KB · Views: 472
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what you are trying to do but in the case of area you are changing both r and [itex]\theta[/itex] so that [itex]dA = dr \times r d\theta[/itex] whereas for path length you change r and [itex]\theta[/itex] according to Pythagoras being applied to infinitesimal displacements so that [itex]ds = \sqrt {dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2}[/itex].

Yeah I guess what threw me off at first was that r = sqrt(x^2+y^2) in rectangular coordinates so I figured the pathagorean theorem was already being applied (which it wasn't). Thanks for your input.

1. What is arclength in polar coordinates?

Arclength in polar coordinates is a measurement that determines the length of a curve in a polar coordinate system. It is similar to finding the length of a curve in a rectangular coordinate system using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. How is arclength in polar coordinates calculated?

Arclength in polar coordinates is calculated using the formula:
L = ∫ab √(r2 + (dr/dθ)2) dθ
where a and b represent the starting and ending angles, r is the polar function, and dr/dθ is the derivative of the function with respect to θ.

3. What is the significance of arclength in polar coordinates?

Arclength in polar coordinates is important in various fields of science and engineering, particularly in physics, calculus, and geometry. It is used to calculate the distance traveled by a moving object along a curved path and to determine the area of a sector in a polar graph.

4. Can arclength in polar coordinates be negative?

No, arclength in polar coordinates cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance or length. However, it can approach zero if the starting and ending angles are very close together.

5. How is arclength in polar coordinates different from arclength in rectangular coordinates?

Arclength in polar coordinates and arclength in rectangular coordinates are calculated using different formulas and methods. In polar coordinates, the length of a curve is determined by integrating along the curve, whereas in rectangular coordinates, it is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. Additionally, polar coordinates use angles and distance from the origin, while rectangular coordinates use x and y coordinates.