Arclength parameter for a path with exponential and trigonometric functions

In summary: What is the greatest common factor of a and (eat)2 + (ebt)2 ?In summary, the arclength parameter s=s(t) for the path x(t)=e^(at)cos(bt)i + e^(at)sin(bt)j + e^(at)k can be found by taking the derivative and squaring it, resulting in (-be\sin bt)^{2}+(ae\cos bt))^{2}+(be\cos bt)^{2}+(ae\sin bt)^{2}+(ae^{at})^{2}. After simplifying, the expression becomes ##\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}(\frac{1}{a}e^{
yango_17

Homework Statement

Find the arclength parameter s=s(t) for the path
x(t)=e^(at)cos(bt)i + e^(at)sin(bt)j + e^(at)k

Homework Equations

[itex] s(t)=\int_{a}^{t}\left | \mathbf{x}(\tau ) \right |d\tau [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative and squared it, arriving at the equation [itex] (-be\sin bt)^{2}+(ae\cos bt))^{2}+(be\cos bt)^{2}+(ae\sin bt)^{2}+(ae^{at})^{2}[/itex]. How would I go about simplifying this in order to take the square root and integrate it? It seems extremely complex to be able to integrate at the moment. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
yango_17 said:

Homework Statement

Find the arclength parameter s=s(t) for the path
x(t)=e^(at)cos(bt)i + e^(at)sin(bt)j + e^(at)k

Homework Equations

[itex] s(t)=\int_{a}^{t}\left | \mathbf{x}(\tau ) \right |d\tau [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative and squared it, arriving at the equation [itex] (-be\sin bt)^{2}+(ae\cos bt))^{2}+(be\cos bt)^{2}+(ae\sin bt)^{2}+(ae^{at})^{2}[/itex]. How would I go about simplifying this in order to take the square root and integrate it? It seems extremely complex to be able to integrate at the moment. Thanks.
Well, what have you tried? With a lot of sines and cosines being squared and all, are there any trig identities you think which might be useful in simplifying this integrand?

The cos and sin for the ae terms cancel to 1, but then I am left with a -be and a be, which would let me factor out ##-\sin ^{2}(bt)+cos^{2}(bt)##, which I am unsure how to simplify. Also, not too sure what to do with the (ae^ae)^2 term.

yango_17 said:
The cos and sin for the ae terms cancel to 1, but then I am left with a -be and a be, which would let me factor out ##-\sin ^{2}(bt)+cos^{2}(bt)##, which I am unsure how to simplify. Also, not too sure what to do with the (ae^ae)^2 term.
You're squaring everything. How can you have any negative quantities in the integrand?

Ah, I see. So, I'd be left with ##2ae^{at^{2}}+be^{2}## under the square root?

yango_17 said:
Ah, I see. So, I'd be left with ##2ae^{at^{2}}+be^{2}## under the square root?
What is (eat)2 ? Remember the laws of exponents.

It would be ##2ae^{2at}##. So, under the square root we have ##2ae^{2at}+be^{2}##?

yango_17 said:
It would be ##2ae^{2at}##. So, under the square root we have ##2ae^{2at}+be^{2}##?
You seem to have lost some terms along the way. How did you start with eat and ebt and wind up with just plain ae and be ?

Remember, many a calculus student's career was derailed not by the calculus, but by algebra or arithmetic.

Going back, it seems like I should have ##be^{2at}+2ae^{2at}##. Correct?

yango_17 said:
Going back, it seems like I should have ##be^{2at}+2ae^{2at}##. Correct?
That's better. How about a little factoring, now, when you put this expression under the radical?

Factoring? What do you mean, exactly?

yango_17 said:
Factoring? What do you mean, exactly?
Don't you notice any common terms in your expression under the radical? You know, things which could be factored out from under the square root sign?

e^(at) could be factored out, right?

yango_17 said:
e^(at) could be factored out, right?
Yes, yes it could.

So, in the end we're left with ##e^{at}\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}##. Am I correct in assuming that the things under the radical can no longer be simplified?

yango_17 said:
So, in the end we're left with ##e^{at}\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}##. Am I correct in assuming that the things under the radical can no longer be simplified?
You are correct. The stuff left under the radical is just another constant anyway.

Now does this expression look like it can be integrated?

Yes! I'm assuming ##\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}} ## can be pulled out of the integral and we just have to integrate e^{at}. Doing this integral from 0 to t, I obtained ##\frac{1}{a}e^{at}\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}-\frac{1}{a}\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}##. Does this seem reasonable?

yango_17 said:
Yes! I'm assuming ##\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}} ## can be pulled out of the integral and we just have to integrate e^{at}. Doing this integral from 0 to t, I obtained ##\frac{1}{a}e^{at}\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}-\frac{1}{a}\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}##. Does this seem reasonable?
Yes, but I believe this expression can be simplified. :wink:

I've arrived at ##\sqrt{2a^{2}+b^{2}}(\frac{1}{a}e^{at}-\frac{1}{a})## by factoring out the 1/a

Factoring out the radical i mean

yango_17 said:
Factoring out the radical i mean
You can still take out one more minor factor.

1. What is an arclength parameter?

An arclength parameter is a mathematical concept used to describe the distance along a curve or path. It is often represented by the variable s and is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

2. How is an arclength parameter calculated?

An arclength parameter can be calculated using a mathematical integral, which involves finding the sum of infinitely small line segments along the curve. This integral can be solved using calculus techniques.

3. What is the significance of an arclength parameter?

An arclength parameter is important in mathematics and physics because it allows for precise measurement and calculation of distance along a curved path. It is also used in fields such as engineering, where accurate measurements are crucial.

4. Can an arclength parameter be negative?

No, an arclength parameter cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the distance along a curve or path. However, it can be zero if the starting and ending points of the curve are the same.

5. How is an arclength parameter used in real-world applications?

An arclength parameter has many practical applications, such as calculating the length of a roller coaster track, determining the distance traveled by a car on a curved road, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It is also used in fields like computer graphics and animation to create smooth and accurate curves.