Arclength Calculation Process for y=x^3/2, 0<x<5/9

• Thread starter jnimagine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arclength
In summary, the formula for calculating the arc length of a curve is ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function. To apply the formula, you first need to find the derivative of the function. In this case, the derivative of y=x^3/2 is dy/dx=3/2x^(1/2). Then, plug in this value into the formula, and integrate from 0 to 5/9. Yes, you can use a calculator to find the arc length by inputting the function and limits of integration. You can also visualize the process using a graphing calculator or software. Real-world applications of calculating arc length include determining
jnimagine
this is a really easy question... but seems like i keep getting something wrong in my calculations... - -
Find the arclength of y = x^3/2 0<x<5/9
when i do it using the formula; L = sqreroot (1+(dx/dy)^2)
i keep getting one...
can someone post the calculation process...

Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
can someone post the calculation process...

Yes...you can:wink:

1. What is the formula for calculating the arc length of a curve?

The formula for calculating the arc length of a curve is ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function.

2. How can I apply the formula to find the arc length of y=x^3/2, where 0

To apply the formula, you first need to find the derivative of the function. In this case, the derivative of y=x^3/2 is dy/dx=3/2x^(1/2). Then, plug in this value into the formula, and integrate from 0 to 5/9. The resulting value will be the arc length of the curve.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the arc length of this curve?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the arc length. Simply input the function and the limits of integration, and the calculator will give you the answer.

4. Is there a way to visually understand the arc length calculation process?

Yes, you can visualize the arc length calculation process by using a graphing calculator or graphing software. Plot the function y=x^3/2 and draw a tangent line at different points along the curve. The arc length between two points on the curve is equal to the sum of all the tangent lines connecting those points.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating arc length for a given curve?

Yes, calculating arc length is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It helps in finding the length of a curved surface, determining the length of a cable or rope, and designing curved structures like bridges and roller coasters.