1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Arcsec question

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can this integral be evaluated using the basic integration formulas?

1/{x[sqrt(1-(x^2))]}dx
    Answer in the back of the book: No

2. Relevant equations
    [1/a]arcsecc(|u|/a) + C

3. The attempt at a solution
    The reason why it cannot be an arcsec is because for the denominator, it is not the square root of (u^2 - a^2) aka: (x^2) - 1.

Thus, I wanted to take a negative out to make it -(x^2) + 1. Then I would take the negative out of the square root, then place the negative before the integral sign. Then, the answer would be -arcsec.

However, because the answer says I cannot do this problem, that means I did something wrong. However, if I did this example wrong, that means I got two other homework problems wrong. However, compared to the answers in the back of the book, I got the correct answer using this method (pull and negative out).

Therefore, I was wondering - am I doing something wrong, or did the book print a mistake? If I did something wrong, that means I'll need help with my other two homework problems :/

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expression sqrt(1-x2) is only defined for x between -1 and 1, assuming you aren't using complex numbers. If you could factor it as you say, your square root would look like sqrt(x2-1) which has domain |x| ≥ 1. Different function, different domain.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Not sure if this counts as a basic integration formula, but you can use the substitution u=sin(x) to get the correct answer.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    If that is the case, then I was wondering if you could help me with this integration problem?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

dx/sqrt(-x^2 - 4x)

2. Relevant equations
    arcsinx

3. The attempt at a solution

I completed the square on the bottom resulting with

dx/sqrt(-(x+2)^2 - 4)

I originally took out the negative (thus having sqrt(a^2 - u^2)). My answer came out to be the same as the back of the book

arcsin[(x+2)/2] + C

However, if this is the same as the problem above, I can't take out the negative. Then, I'm stuck after completing the square.

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

-x2-4x = -(x2+4x + 4)+4 = -(x+2)2+4

so this gives you a 1 - u2 form under the radical, which should give you an arcsine. You did two things wrong and got lucky.

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Could you show us exactly how you are managing to move the -1 out of a root?

8. Apr 11, 2010 #7
    Ooh I see.. wow. Thanks a lot!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook