1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arcsin and L'Hopital

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    Hey guys, have a questions about L'Hopital and arcsin.

The question is to find the limit of (arcsin(2x))/x^3 as x->0. I can find the limit no problem just by applying L'Hopital, but I am having difficulty proving that it's valid to use L'Hopital with the function, because with f(x)=arcsin(2x), the limit of arcsin(2x) as x->0 is 2x, rather than 0 or infinity as is required. I think I may have to express arcsin(2x) as a ratio and then apply L'Hopital again, but I can't figure out how to do that. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that is strange, I thought lim (y ->0) arcsin(y) = 0
  4. Sep 4, 2007 #3
    I thought that for very small values of sin or arcsin, sin(x) roughly = x? So that if you take the limit as x->0, it will never be 0, but just the input? This is hard to explain - the function doesn't "get closer" to anything as it approaches 0, it just oscillates around the value inputted - so it can't really be said to have a limit as x->0?

Or is that all totally off-base?

EDIT: Yeah, it is. I just needed to read over my trig notes a bit closer. Thanks malawi for putting me back on track...!
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  5. Sep 4, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the limit, as x--> 0 is NUMBER. In general, if f(x) is a continuous function,
    [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrowa}f(g(x))= f(\lim_{x\rightarrowa}g(x))[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?