1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arctan Derivative

1. Jul 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the derivative of the function. Simplify where possible.
    y= arctan ( (1+x)/(1-x))^1/2

2. Relevant equations

d/dx (arctan x) = 1/(1+x^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really not sure where to even begin, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello emmaerin. Welcome to PF !

You will need to use the Chain Rule.

Also, the Quotient Rule will likely come into play.

To remove any ambiguity regarding the function you are differentiating, is it

[itex]\displaystyle y= \arctan\left(\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)^{1/2}\right)\ ?[/itex]

4. Jul 3, 2014 #3
    Thank you! And yes, that is the correct function.

5. Jul 3, 2014 #4
    Use the substitution ##x=\cos(2\theta)## to simplify the function and then find the derivative.

6. Jul 3, 2014 #5
    Could you please explain further? Where did the cos come from? (I apologize if this is basic; I've missed a week's worth of classes due to a lung infection and I'm desperately trying to catch up.)

7. Jul 3, 2014 #6
    Notice that the domain of the function is ##[-1,1)##, this allows us to use the substitution ##x=\cos(2\theta)##. Algebra simplifies greatly with this.
    $$y=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos(2\theta)}{1-\cos(2\theta)}}\right)$$
    Using the identity: ##\cos(2\theta)=2\cos^2\theta-1=1-2\sin^2\theta##,
    $$y=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2\theta}{\sin^2\theta}}\right) = \arctan \left(\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)\right)=\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta$$
    Substitute back ##\theta=\frac{1}{2}\cos^{-1}x## and finding the derivative of this is easier than the original function.

Or you can simply use chain rule find the derivative.

8. Jul 3, 2014 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would simplify the problem, but you do not need it. Just apply Chain Rule. Do you know what it is? You might see

ehild

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Jul 3, 2014 #8
    This is where I am so far, using the chain rule. Could someone help me figure out where I'm going wrong/what comes next? Thanks!!

y = arctan ( (1+x)/(1-x) )^1/2

1. y' = 1/ (1 + (1+x)/(1-x)) * 1/2 ( (1+x)/(1-x) )^-1/2 * ( (1-x)(1) - (1+x)(-1) ) / (1-x)^2

2. y' = (1-x)/2 * 1/2 ( (1-x)/(1+x) )^1/2 * 2 / (1-x)^2

3. y'=1/2 ( (1-x)/(1+x) ) ^1/2 * 1 / (1-x)

10. Jul 3, 2014 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The next step is to simplify. Hint: For x<1, 1-x>0 so 1-x = sqrt((1-x)^2) if x<1.

11. Jul 3, 2014 #10
    1 / (2 * (1 - x^2)^1/2 ) ?

12. Jul 4, 2014 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted