Solving an Unsolvable Equation: arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
In summary: Have you evaluated tan(7π/12)?I get (1+\sqrt{3})x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})\ .I would divide by tan(7π/12).Write in standard form for a quadratic equation.Have you evaluated tan(7π/12)?Equate the above two and solve for xBeware of possible extraneous solutions.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation:

[tex]arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied by tan on both sides but since we can exactly calculate tan(7pi/12) i wasn't able to get an answer. Is there something else i can do? Thank you before hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation:
[tex]arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied by tan on both sides but since we can exactly calculate tan(7pi/12) i wasn't able to get an answer. Is there something else i can do? Thank you before hand.
That's not multiplying by the tangent, that's taking the tangent of both sides.

After that, do you know the angle addition identity for tangent?

[itex]\displaystyle \tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1- \tan \alpha \tan \beta}[/itex]

SammyS said:
That's not multiplying by the tangent, that's taking the tangent of both sides.

After that, do you know the angle addition identity for tangent?

[itex]\displaystyle \tan(\alpha + \beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha + \tan \beta}{1- \tan \alpha \tan \beta}[/itex]

yes that's exactly what i did and I got:

[tex]1+\sqrt{3}x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})[/tex]

Should i factor out with tan on the right side to get tan(7pi/12)(1-√3x^2) or what?

I know the answer will be x=1 because arctan(1)+arctan(sqrt(3))=pi/4+pi/3=7pi/12

Last edited:
mtayab1994 said:
yes that's exactly what i did and I got:

[tex]1+\sqrt{3}x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})[/tex]

Should i factor out with tan on the right side to get tan(7pi/12)(1-√3x^2) or what?
I get [itex](1+\sqrt{3})x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})\ .[/itex]

I would divide by tan(7π/12).

Write in standard form for a quadratic equation.

Have you evaluated tan(7π/12) ?

SammyS said:
I get [itex](1+\sqrt{3})x=tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})-\sqrt{3}x^{2}tan(\frac{7\pi}{12})\ .[/itex]

I would divide by tan(7π/12).

Write in standard form for a quadratic equation.

Have you evaluated tan(7π/12) ?

nevermind i got it because tan(7pi/12) is tan(pi/4+pi/3)

Using the relation provided by SammyS, hopefully you got to [tex]\arctan\frac{x + \sqrt{3}x}{1-\sqrt{3}x^2} = \frac{7\pi}{12} [/tex]

Take tangent of both sides: [itex] \tan(\frac{7\pi}{12}) [/itex] as a sum of two angles and use the double angle relation (again) to find this.

Equate the above two and solve for x

Beware of possible extraneous solutions.

1. What is the equation "arctan(x)+arctan(\sqrt{3}x)=\frac{7\pi}{12}" trying to solve?

The equation is trying to solve for the value of x that satisfies the equation, where x is an unknown variable and arctan is the inverse tangent function.

2. Is it possible to solve this equation analytically?

No, this equation is considered unsolvable analytically because it involves the sum of two inverse trigonometric functions, which cannot be simplified further.

3. How can this equation be solved numerically?

This equation can be solved numerically using methods such as iteration or approximation techniques. One approach is to use a graphing calculator or computer program to plot the equation and find the intersection point with the line y = 7π/12. Another approach is to use a numerical solver algorithm that iteratively approximates the solution.

4. Are there any specific values of x that satisfy this equation?

Yes, there are an infinite number of values of x that satisfy this equation. Some examples include x = 1, x = √3, and x = 2.

5. What are the real-world applications of this equation?

This equation has many applications in mathematics and physics, such as in the study of trigonometric identities and in the analysis of electrical circuits. It can also be used to solve problems involving angles and distances in geometry and navigation.