Solve Arctan Equations: Find pi Value

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
In summary, the equations given can be solved by substituting the values found in the three equations, and this leads to the conclusion that pi=8arctan(1/5)+4arctan(1/7)+8arctan(1/8).
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Solve the following equations in R.

arctan(1)=arctan(1/2)+arctan(x)
arctan(1/2)=arctan(1/3)+arctan(x)
arctan(1/3)=arctan(1/5)+arctan(x)

conclude that: pi=8arctan(1/5)+4arctan(1/7)+8arctan(1/8)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first three i just took the tan of both sides and i got x=1/3 for the first one and x=1/7 for the second one and for the third one i got x=1/8. For the last one should i find the arctan(1/5) and the others from the first equations and plug them in or is there something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following equations in R.

arctan(1)=arctan(1/2)+arctan(x)
arctan(1/2)=arctan(1/3)+arctan(x)
arctan(1/3)=arctan(1/5)+arctan(x)

conclude that: pi=8arctan(1/5)+4arctan(1/7)+8arctan(1/8)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first three i just took the tan of both sides and i got x=1/3 for the first one and x=1/7 for the second one and for the third one i got x=1/8. For the last one should i find the arctan(1/5) and the others from the first equations and plug them in or is there something else?

Substitute the values you found in the three equations:
arctan(1)=arctan(1/2)+arctan(1/3)
arctan(1/2)=arctan(1/3)+arctan(1/7)
arctan(1/3)=arctan(1/5)+arctan(1/8)

So arctan(1/3) = arctan(1) - arctan(1/2)
arctan(1/7) = arctan(1/2) - arctan(1/3)
arctan(1/8) = arctan(1/3) - arctan(1/5)

Now substitute these values into the expression 8arctan(1/5)+4arctan(1/7)+8arctan(1/8) and see if you can show that this expression simplifies to ##\pi##.

What is an arctan equation?

An arctan equation is a mathematical expression that involves the inverse tangent function, also known as arctangent. It is used to find the angle in a right triangle when given the lengths of two sides.

How do I solve an arctan equation?

To solve an arctan equation, you need to use the inverse tangent function on a scientific calculator or refer to a table of arctangent values. You can also use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation before finding the angle.

What is the value of pi in arctan equations?

The value of pi (π) is often used in arctan equations as it represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. However, the actual value of pi is not always explicitly stated in arctan equations and may need to be calculated using a calculator or approximation methods.

Can I solve an arctan equation without using pi?

Yes, it is possible to solve an arctan equation without using pi. The angle can be expressed in radians or degrees, depending on the unit of measurement used in the problem. In some cases, the angle may also be given in terms of a variable, such as x or y.

Are there any common mistakes when solving arctan equations?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving arctan equations include forgetting to use the inverse tangent function, using the wrong unit of measurement for the angle, and not simplifying the equation before finding the angle. It is important to double check the steps and units used to avoid errors.