Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arduino and GUI

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I have completed a small project of ac circuit analysis on intel galileo in arduino. I want to make a GUI now. How should I proceed? I know C and a little C++.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that would be an ambitious project. It sounds like you want to do it as a learning exercise. You could learn a lot but it will take a lot of work. As a wild guess, maybe 4000 hours.

There are two ways to go. Method 1 is to get some books on GUI design. X Windows was open source from the start, there should e lots of chat and docs online. The disadvantage is that it poisons your mind, and you wind up with a X Windows look alike. I'm sure there are other documented GUIs out there.

Method two is to do it without reference to literature. You are likely to fail and have to start over more than once. But the learning will be more profound. We learn best from our own mistakes.

So, which is most important to you, getting to the end result, or the learning?

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3

meBigGuy

Gold Member

There are many gui packages, but I'm not up to date on them. For example Tk can be interfaced to C (I use it from Perl quite often). There are probably better, more modern choices, like Qt or something. Will GTK run on the arduino?

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/stable/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook