Arduino Sine waves?

Is it possible for an Arduino to produce a sine wave to a piezoelectric buzzer?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Is it possible for an Arduino to produce a sine wave to a piezoelectric buzzer?
Some piezo buzzers only need a DC input. What are the specs of your piezo buzzer?

You could use an R-2R ladder DAC arrangement, connected to some of the uC's IO lines. Then use a look-up table in the uC to drive a sine wave out the DAC. You may need to buffer that DAC output with an opamp to drive the buzzer, depending on the current required.

Some piezo buzzers only need a DC input. What are the specs of your piezo buzzer?

You could use an R-2R ladder DAC arrangement, connected to some of the uC's IO lines. Then use a look-up table in the uC to drive a sine wave out the DAC. You may need to buffer that DAC output with an opamp to drive the buzzer, depending on the current required.
I don't have one yet. When it says (?? hz), does that mean what it's capable of, and not what it actually produces?

berkeman
Mentor
I don't have one yet. When it says (?? hz), does that mean what it's capable of, and not what it actually produces?
Can you post a datasheet that you are looking at?

I'm guessing that you put a DC voltage across it, and it produces a tone of that specified frequency (probably with some harmonics too...).

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member