Are 1p and 2p coins of the same metal, do they weigh the same?

• Thread starter janm204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, for the course work task of determining if 1p and 2p coins are made of the same metal and weigh the same, formulas for density, volume, and mass were provided along with necessary apparatus. To attempt the task, the coins were measured with a ruler to determine their volume and then weighed to calculate density. However, weight alone is not enough to determine if the coins are made of the same material, so the density must be compared. If the densities are the same, it is likely that the coins are made of the same material.
janm204
I was recently given this course work to find out whether a 1p and 2p coins are made out of the same metal and weigh the same.
I was given the formulas to use to find out what it is...

Formulas:

Density= mass/volume
Volume = ¢³r©÷h
Mass =g/ number of coins.

Apparatus:

-20 1p coins
-20 2p coins
-A ruler (to hold them in place when measuring them)
-weight scale (for the mass)

I am finding so much trouble as i can't find any information about the scientific knowledge, or how to attempt it.
true i weighed the coins. But i was told it was not good enough to enable me to pass as i am to think as an A'level student on how to attempt this task.
Has anyone got any ideas on how or what i should do?
Please help me.

Jan

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you've measured them with a ruler, you should know the radius and thickness and be able to calculate their volume. Of course, weight alone doesn't tell you whether they are made of the same material or not (one might be heavier because it contains more metal or because it is made of a heavier metal) but density is a good marker. Find the weight of each kind of coin divided by its volume- that is, calculate the density. If those are the same for both kinds of coin, it's a good bet they are of the same material.

ice,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your coursework. It is understandable that you are having trouble finding information about the scientific knowledge and approach to determining the metal and weight of 1p and 2p coins. Here are some steps and considerations that may help you in your task:

1. Research the materials used to make 1p and 2p coins: In order to determine if the coins are made of the same metal, it is important to first research the materials used to make them. This information can be found on government or mint websites, coin collecting websites, or even in reference books. This will give you a starting point for your investigation.

2. Understand the density formula: The formula for density is density = mass/volume. This means that in order to find the density of an object, you need to know its mass (weight) and volume (how much space it takes up).

3. Measure the mass of the coins: As you have mentioned, using a weight scale to measure the mass of the coins is a good start. Make sure to record the mass of both the 1p and 2p coins separately.

4. Calculate the volume of the coins: The formula for volume is ¢³r©÷h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the coin. You can use a ruler to measure the radius and height of the coins. Make sure to measure multiple coins to get an average value and record your measurements.

5. Calculate the density: Once you have the mass and volume of the coins, you can plug these values into the density formula to calculate the density of each coin. If the densities of the two coins are the same, it could indicate that they are made of the same metal.

6. Consider other factors: While density is a good indicator of the material used to make an object, there could be other factors that affect the weight of the coins. These factors could include wear and tear, corrosion, or even variations in the manufacturing process. Keep these factors in mind when analyzing your results.

I hope these steps and considerations will help you in approaching your coursework. Remember to always cite your sources and document your process in your report. Good luck!

1. What metals are 1p and 2p coins made of?

The current 1p and 2p coins in circulation in the United Kingdom are made of copper-plated steel. However, older versions of these coins were made of bronze and copper-nickel alloys.

2. Are 1p and 2p coins made of the same metal?

Yes, both 1p and 2p coins are made of copper-plated steel. This was done in 1992 to reduce production costs and make the coins more durable.

3. Do 1p and 2p coins have the same weight?

No, 1p and 2p coins do not have the same weight. A 1p coin weighs 3.56 grams, while a 2p coin weighs 7.12 grams. This is due to the difference in size and thickness of the coins.

4. Why are 1p and 2p coins made of steel instead of copper?

The decision to switch from bronze and copper-nickel alloys to copper-plated steel was driven by the rising cost of copper. Steel is a more affordable alternative and also makes the coins more resistant to wear and tear.

5. Are 1p and 2p coins still legal tender?

Yes, 1p and 2p coins are still legal tender in the United Kingdom. However, there have been discussions about potentially phasing out these coins in the future due to their low purchasing power and the high cost of production.