Are a lot of you math and science types poor at english

In summary, many scientists and math types are poor at English because many scientists come from countries where English is not the primary language. However, I think that many of them are better than the average native speaker at writing scientific text. Frylock also has a good point in that many people who type poorly don't understand English well enough to do it properly.
sportsstar469
ok, let me first say this is a genuine question that is not meant to offend anyone. i notice that a lot of you posters who excel in math and sciences and all of that hard stuff, make numerous grammar mistakes. the poster who has frylock as his avatar regularly uses the word you're when your is most appropriate. i am not a grammar Nazi by any means. this is especially true, since although i am exemplary at english i can't type for ****. however i can't fathom how someone can be so brilliant at physics, and not understand basic english concepts. unless the posters on this board are not native to the english language, which in that case kudos for being decent at it, as your second language.

Physics news on Phys.org
The post's topic title taken as a question: NO.

I always thought that many scientists and math types were poor at english because many scientists come from countries where english is not the primary language.

No. This is an example of a self-serving rumor espoused by lib arts majors in a 'I can't tell an atom from my *** but at least I can wax poetic!' way. The idea is that people are good at only one or the other is a fallacy. I can write papers, spell correctly, and I would classify my English as above-average. I am also a scientist, so clearly I'm neither a hack science student nor a gibbering moron who can't string a sentence together. In short; no.

When people post on here, I would assume most try to be short and to the point and as long as the point gets across, grammar is not too terribly important.

unless the posters on this board are not native to the english language, which in that case kudos for being decent at it, as your second language.

I have no statistics to back this up, but I suspect something like a third of all the people who post here have English as a second language (I'm one of them).
That said, I think you´ll find that quite a few of us are better than the "average" native speaker at writing "scientific" text, i.e. explaining scientific concepts etc because we are used to that from reading textbooks, papers, talking to colleagues etc. Nowadays I rarely make mistakes when for example writing papers and proposals. However, if you were to read one of my post in the General Forum I am sure you'd find plenty of mistakes.

But of course I still make mistakes sometimes, regardless of what language I am using (I have a bad habit of skipping whole words).

Also, I did spot quite a few misstakes in your post...

You're making the assumption that people who type poorly don't understand English well enough to do it properly, but one does not necessarily logically follow from the other. Some people (myself included), simply couldn't care less about using proper English. My opinion is that if my message was understood, then I did good enough. I use a modicum more effort when talking to strangers, but if I am talking to a friend I have no qualms typing like "u r dum, let's get sum foodz" (if for no reason other than I think the idea that the smart kid types like a 7 year old absolutely hilarious). I know proper English quite well (English major friends ask me to edit their papers on occasion!), but I choose not to use it for my own amusement.

sportsstar469 said:
ok, let me first say this is a genuine question that is not meant to offend anyone. i notice that a lot of you posters who excel in math and sciences and all of that hard stuff, make numerous grammar mistakes. the poster who has frylock as his avatar regularly uses the word you're when your is most appropriate. i am not a grammar Nazi by any means. this is especially true, since although i am exemplary at english i can't type for ****. however i can't fathom how someone can be so brilliant at physics, and not understand basic english concepts. unless the posters on this board are not native to the english language, which in that case kudos for being decent at it, as your second language.

ee cummings!

Welcome to the forums.

I find it amusing that someone who is finding fault with the usage of English, cannot write correct English!

Last edited:
I was going to add to this debate, but apparently now it would be like beating a dead horse.

Integral said:
ee commings!

Welcome to the forums.

I find it amusing that someone who is finding fault with the usage of English, cannot write correct English!

He's got an excellent point. Why are you throwing stones from a glass house? (Not to put too fine a point on it but, technically, your post actually violates forum guidelines requiring attention to punctuation.)

DaveC426913 said:
He's got an excellent point. Why are you throwing stones from a glass house? (Not to put too fine a point on it but, technically, your post actually violates forum guidelines requiring attention to punctuation.)

well i did say i wasnt one to talk since i don't type as fluently as i should.

if you go on any other online forum you will find that the standard of english is lower.

Yes. I can't play the sports too or talk at women because I'm too much of a math type. Now I have to go, go get back to my equations now.

sportsstar469 said:
well i did say i wasnt one to talk since i don't type as fluently as i should.
mhm. You claim to be examplary at English yet don't seem to be able to adhere to the same "basic English concepts" that you expect of others.

It sounds like you're just trying to start a kerfuffle.

I'm callin' troll.

DaveC426913 said:
mhm. You claim to be examplary at English yet don't seem to be able to adhere to the same "basic English concepts" that you expect of others.

It sounds like you're just trying to start a kerfuffle.

I'm callin' troll.

how am i troll? i asked a simple question. relax... just because the question can be viewed of as less than flattering you call troll, and insult me. there's a difference between not grasping the english language and not typing properly.

you can call troll? if that makes you feel better about yourself...but I am just a guy who is fascinated by people who excel in math and science, and that's why i visit forums like these.

also, math and english use opposite sides of the brain, so it is a perfectly legitimate question.

also, math and english use opposite sides of the brain, so it is a perfectly legitimate question.

Do you actually know what you're talking about or do you just hear diluted, second-hand versions of theories and try to pass them off as fact? What, is one half of my brain going to grow to monster proportions as the other atrophies because I chose to specialize in physics over philosophy? Are you aware the the theory you're championing is outdated and regarded as far too simplistic to have much meaning at all? Probably not.

'Math and science types' as well as 'English types' both have had the same education through the end of high school, generally. This is usually some mix of science, math, literature, foreign languages, and what have you. So coming out of high school, both theoretically have exactly the same skills in English. Because this is the above the level of English that most people speak and communicate with on a normal basis, how can someone who specialized later on be poor at English? Unless you think their English skills fell out of their ears because of the dearth of equations and numbers crammed into their heads.

Furthermore, intelligence is not a zero-sum game. Because someone's good at English doesn't make them poor at math, any more than someone good at chemistry naturally sucks at painting. It's a bad question and a bit insulting, asking generally educated people if they suck at communicating in their native language. I don't think this young man is a troll, perhaps just a bit naive. At any rate, I'm off. Toodles!

sportsstar469 said:
how am i troll? i asked a simple question. relax... just because the question can be viewed of as less than flattering you call troll, and insult me. there's a difference between not grasping the english language and not typing properly.

you can call troll? if that makes you feel better about yourself...but I am just a guy who is fascinated by people who excel in math and science, and that's why i visit forums like these.

It has nothing to do with insults. You are trying to hold other people to a higher standard than you hold yourself. That doesn't make sense. Especially since you've labelled the standard "basic English concepts".

sportsstar469 said:

Hi sportstar...let me tell something I experienced that is related to this.

When I was a little kid, my strength was in words...I read early, and I had an impressive vocabulary at an early age.

Yet I always liked science, even though I fought with the math. When I was in college, I studied chemistry and physics, but I really struggled...especially with physics. The homework just took so long!

Then I found a different way to think. While I was doing my homework, I would read the problem, in language of course. I would write the pertinent information, then switch into non-language thinking.

Basically I learned to think without words. Just math. It made getting through homework so fast, it was great!

But it came with a cost. My language skills went downhill so fast...especially spelling. And explaining how I solved a problem was difficult too. It was so frustrating...I knew exactly what I was trying to say, but it was as if there was no bridge between my thoughts and words.

I still struggle with these issues - spellcheck is wonderful :smile:.

You know, it's funny because I bet most of the people posting in this thread have given an extra spell check before posting than they would have normally.

Just a quick Mentor note. Please avoid the troll accusations here -- I see none so far. Just a legitimate question and some responses, albeit with some ironic errors in the posts that want to emphasize how important good grammar and spell checking are. :tongue2:

(carefully checking my post multiple times for grammar, punctuation and spelling...)

:biggrin:

boboYO said:
if you go on any other online forum you will find that the standard of english is lower.

I would tend to agree with this. However, the main reason is probably that part of the PF rules demand that one structures ones' posts in a grammatically correct manner (note that that also includes capitalisation!):

rules said:
In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.

I think there's a difference between knowing and doing. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who "know" basic grammatical rules, but simply fail to observe them - largely out of bad habits.

The most unfortunate thing about this is that poor grammar dramatically reduces the efficiency and efficacy of communication. It takes longer for a reader to get through the writer's message, and the meaning can be skewed.

Personally, I find it offensive when people don't bother to type properly. It's just like someone attaching a little text signature at the bottom of a post that says, "You're not worth me taking the effort to do this properly." And for the record, I don't think this is a second language issue at all.

I really don't have anything useful to add to this discussion, but I do need to mention that I cracked up when I read DaveC426913's signature...

Great visualization.

lisab said:
Hi sportstar...let me tell something I experienced that is related to this.

When I was a little kid, my strength was in words...I read early, and I had an impressive vocabulary at an early age.

Yet I always liked science, even though I fought with the math. When I was in college, I studied chemistry and physics, but I really struggled...especially with physics. The homework just took so long!

Then I found a different way to think. While I was doing my homework, I would read the problem, in language of course. I would write the pertinent information, then switch into non-language thinking.

Basically I learned to think without words. Just math. It made getting through homework so fast, it was great!

But it came with a cost. My language skills went downhill so fast...especially spelling. And explaining how I solved a problem was difficult too. It was so frustrating...I knew exactly what I was trying to say, but it was as if there was no bridge between my thoughts and words.

I still struggle with these issues - spellcheck is wonderful :smile:.
interesting story. goes to show you that you could be naturally good at something, and not so good at something else, but through focusing on what youre weak at, you can build your weakness to far surpass your current strengths!
w3390 said:
You know, it's funny because I bet most of the people posting in this thread have given an extra spell check before posting than they would have normally.
HAHAHAHA!
berkeman said:
Just a quick Mentor note. Please avoid the troll accusations here -- I see none so far. Just a legitimate question and some responses, albeit with some ironic errors in the posts that want to emphasize how important good grammar and spell checking are. :tongue2:

(carefully checking my post multiple times for grammar, punctuation and spelling...)

:biggrin:
yeah it was pretty ironic i suppose ;)
cristo said:
I would tend to agree with this. However, the main reason is probably that part of the PF rules demand that one structures ones' posts in a grammatically correct manner (note that that also includes capitalisation!):

yeah i wouldn't expect a forum on dirtbikes to have as high of a standard as an academic forum, regardless of whether it is science, math or the arts.

But the point of this thread has nothing to do with how people type online. i was just asking if some of you struggled more with grammar than physics, based on some of the common mistakes i found in some of your posts. someone conjure up the same question about me also after seeing some of my mistyped paragraphs as well

Last edited:
I don't know where that stereotype comes from. I've always been good with languages.

f95toli said:
Also, I did spot quite a few misstakes in your post...
Like this one?:biggrin:

MissSilvy said:
Furthermore, intelligence is not a zero-sum game. Because someone's good at English doesn't make them poor at math, any more than someone good at chemistry naturally sucks at painting. It's a bad question and a bit insulting, asking generally educated people if they suck at communicating in their native language. I don't think this young man is a troll, perhaps just a bit naive.

If you stood outside the English department at any US university, I wager that you would find less than 10% of the students (and faculty) who could compute a simple integral or perform a simple kinematics calculation. John Allen Paulos published several books about 15 years ago, one of which was Innumeracy. His point was that there were many people who were generally acknowledged as intellectuals, but whose knowledge of mathematics didn't extend to anything more current than the 14th century, and whose knowledge of science was about the same.

On the other hand, a lot of people who are very well-versed in mathematics and the sciences are at least competent at writing in their native language. In addition, you'll find a fair number of musicians among mathematicians and scientists, despite music being considered a "right brain" activity.

In high school I wanted to be an artist and then a musician. I excelled in both disciplines because I put in the requisite work. During senior year in high school I took up an interest in philosophy which is a very language intensive discipline.

Many people are quite surprised by my facility in the visual arts, despite the 'fact' of a right brain/left brain 'rift'. I often get the impression that people have developed the idea that somehow the two hemispheres are at odds and cannot work in a synergistic manner, which is absurd.

Mathematics should be, if anything, a testament to the flexibility of the human brain. The linguistic and visuo-spatial aspects of mathematics are inexorably intertwined and thus considering a problem in terms of both the visual and logical aspects in the area of mathematics you are considering gives far more depth of understanding and a great many invaluable tools with which to attack problems. Why do you think we have such a melding of subfields in mathematics; Algebraic topology, Model theoretic Analysis (non standard analysis) and Algebraic geometry ect. ? It is because mathematics is synergistic! You need both hemispheres in good working order to achieve the deepest insights!

I've been diagnosed with dyslexia early in childhood and always have been deficient in the language department which has affected me significantly in college. The auto-spelling feature is godsend, without it I have hard time recognizing simple errors. There are things the auto-spell won't catch. I often omit crucial conjunctions, type "is" instead of "in" or will completely omit a word. When I proof read myself, I often miss omitted words as my mind fills the blank with a missing word - where there is none.

In contrast, algebraic topology is as easy as breathing (quoting Stallone) ...

Last edited:
I just want to emphasize the point that many of the people on this forum do not have English as a first language. To assume so is somewhat arrogant. I can only guess what your skills in Swedish, Russian or Japanese are like.

MissSilvy said:
Furthermore, intelligence is not a zero-sum game. Because someone's good at English doesn't make them poor at math, any more than someone good at chemistry naturally sucks at painting. It's a bad question and a bit insulting, asking generally educated people if they suck at communicating in their native language. I don't think this young man is a troll, perhaps just a bit naive.
I agree. These stereotypes are harmful and should be stamped out with vigour.

Sankaku said:
I just want to emphasize the point that many of the people on this forum do not have English as a first language. To assume so is somewhat arrogant. I can only guess what your skills in Swedish, Russian or Japanese are like.

I agree. These stereotypes are harmful and should be stamped out with vigour.

Well I interpret the OP's question to be about whether STEM-oriented people struggle more with grammar than math...it doesn't have to be English grammar.

However, you do have a point that the errors in grammar he/she observes on this forum could be because English is a second (third-fourth-...?) language for many PFers.

English is a second language for a large number of our members. While some are better at English than a lot of members whose first language is English, many are struggling to learn and some patience and understanding is expected.

If you run across someone that is especially difficult to understand, you could just ask them if English is their first language.

Mark44 said:
Like this one?:biggrin:

Indeed:rofl:

sportsstar469 said:

There are more errors in your posts than just typos. One major error is the incorrect usage of capitalization. That shift key really isn't all that hard to find, is it? There are errors in placement of commas, placement of apostrophes, usage of prepositions, etc. As you should be realizing, many of us here consider proper usage of English to be quite important. In fact, if you cannot write proper English, you will struggle to be a successful scientist, since scientists spend a lot of their time writing.

By the way, what is your "type?" Your thread title seems to suggest that you consider "math and science types" to be something different from yourself. Hopefully, you're not an English major.

I have found that logic oriented people such as mathematicians and scientists tend to view language more as a static system of rules and values. So I would say that most scientists and mathematicians are probably far more conscious and critical of grammar and linguistic skills than others. This isn't restricted to scientists and mathematicians though. There are plenty of so-called "left brained" persons in other fields including english teachers who are greatly annoyed at any minor lapse in grammar or students who violate their favoured preference on such subjects as split infinitives.

There are of course many people who are comfortable with both logic and perceive language as organic rather than static. Obviously we can't treat people according to stereotypes though I would say that in general "scientists" and "mathematicians" are probably the opposite of the theory implied by the OP.

<h2>1. Why are math and science types often perceived as poor at English?</h2><p>This perception may stem from the fact that math and science are heavily focused on logic and problem-solving, while English involves more creative and subjective thinking. Therefore, individuals who excel in math and science may struggle with the more abstract and interpretive aspects of English.</p><h2>2. Is it true that math and science types struggle with language and communication?</h2><p>While some individuals may have difficulty with language and communication, it is not a universal trait among all math and science types. Many scientists and mathematicians are skilled communicators and have a strong grasp of language.</p><h2>3. Can being good at math and science make someone bad at English?</h2><p>No, being good at one subject does not necessarily make someone bad at another. While individuals may have strengths and weaknesses in different areas, it is not accurate to say that excelling in math and science automatically makes someone poor at English.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to being proficient in both math/science and English?</h2><p>Absolutely! Being proficient in both math/science and English can open up a wide range of opportunities, as it allows for a well-rounded education and skill set. Additionally, many fields, such as medicine and engineering, require a strong understanding of both math/science and English.</p><h2>5. How can math and science types improve their English skills?</h2><p>Like any skill, practice and exposure are key to improving English skills. Math and science types can benefit from reading and writing frequently, seeking feedback from others, and taking courses or workshops specifically focused on improving language and communication skills.</p>

1. Why are math and science types often perceived as poor at English?

This perception may stem from the fact that math and science are heavily focused on logic and problem-solving, while English involves more creative and subjective thinking. Therefore, individuals who excel in math and science may struggle with the more abstract and interpretive aspects of English.

2. Is it true that math and science types struggle with language and communication?

While some individuals may have difficulty with language and communication, it is not a universal trait among all math and science types. Many scientists and mathematicians are skilled communicators and have a strong grasp of language.

3. Can being good at math and science make someone bad at English?

No, being good at one subject does not necessarily make someone bad at another. While individuals may have strengths and weaknesses in different areas, it is not accurate to say that excelling in math and science automatically makes someone poor at English.

4. Are there any benefits to being proficient in both math/science and English?

Absolutely! Being proficient in both math/science and English can open up a wide range of opportunities, as it allows for a well-rounded education and skill set. Additionally, many fields, such as medicine and engineering, require a strong understanding of both math/science and English.

5. How can math and science types improve their English skills?

Like any skill, practice and exposure are key to improving English skills. Math and science types can benefit from reading and writing frequently, seeking feedback from others, and taking courses or workshops specifically focused on improving language and communication skills.