Are actions right because

  • Thread starter Roxy
  • Start date
  • #1
52
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

God or society says they are right?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #3
789
4
I guess there are many ways to define right. This kind of discussion depends on very defined terms. Do you define right as good? Or is it not sinning? Different religions say certain actions are right or wrong, and different societies agree or disagree with parts of them. I personally believe that aboslute right or wrongs cannot be proven and that it is up to each person to define what is good.

Example. A long time ago it was "right" to have slavery. Preachers would have condoned it. They would tell you God agrees with slavery. Now, most of us are against slavery. This is a good example of showing that the "right" thing changes from time and that it is not so absolute.

What are your thoughts?
 
  • #4
3,762
2
Roxy said:
God or society says they are right?
Isn't "God" just another part of the "society" that accepts Him? Either way, society will decide what "right" is simply because society is the only thing that can put pressure on you to behave a certain way or not.

However, if God has already decided what is "right" and what is "wrong", and if He's really "God" in the usual sense (and thus the most important part of any society), then He quite likely has the power to "pressure" you to behave one way or the other.

Note: "Pressure" doesn't mean "coerce" or "force" or anything like that. It means that you get good results from doing one thing ("good", here, means "favorable to you") and bad results from doing the opposite.
 
  • #5
GeD
147
0
Roxy said:
God or society says they are right?
No, they are not.
 
  • #6
GeD
147
0
Jameson said:
Example. A long time ago it was "right" to have slavery. Preachers would have condoned it. They would tell you God agrees with slavery. Now, most of us are against slavery. This is a good example of showing that the "right" thing changes from time and that it is not so absolute.
What that shows us, is that the "right" thing is only defined according to the times. Right or wrong are not phenomena, they are an invention. There is no right or wrong thing, since it is not so much that the "right" thing changes - but only our definition of it.
 
  • #7
GeD
147
0
Mentat said:
However, if God has already decided what is "right" and what is "wrong", and if He's really "God" in the usual sense (and thus the most important part of any society), then He quite likely has the power to "pressure" you to behave one way or the other.

Note: "Pressure" doesn't mean "coerce" or "force" or anything like that. It means that you get good results from doing one thing ("good", here, means "favorable to you") and bad results from doing the opposite.
The ability to decide what is right or wrong doesn't make it necessary that the thing wielding that ability has the power to do so.

But you have almost hit the mark - POWER will define what people will follow and think is good or bad. Thus, anyone who has truthfully found a "good" realizes that he has been seduced by its power, not because of it's "inherent" goodness.
 
Last edited:
  • #8
3,762
2
GeD said:
The ability to decide what is right or wrong doesn't make it necessary that the thing wielding that ability has the power to do so.

But you have almost hit the mark - POWER will define what people will follow and think is good or bad. Thus, anyone who has truthfully found a "good" realizes that he has been seduced by its power, not because of it's "inherent" goodness.
This is somewhat reminiscent of Euthyphro, but expound a bit on the concept of being "seduced by the power of a true good".
 
  • #9
GeD
147
0
It's simply that people usually follow/believe "truths" that increase their own power (ie. their influence over people/world around them and their freedom of action). It is not the case that somehow things are inherently in the "good category" or "bad category", simply because we or someone has labeled them that way.

It's better to realise that truths are about gaining/maintaining personal power (which involves not only influence, but also of personal freedom to act).
 
  • #10
Roxy said:
God or society says they are right?
Neither. Similarly to how neither "god" not society can decide the laws of physics (because they are fact, not opinion), I dont' believe that the ethics of a situation can be decreed.
 
  • #11
GeD
147
0
Not that we've proven that there are actual laws of physics - only theories which seem to predict and mimic phenomena.
 
Last edited:

Related Threads on Are actions right because

  • Last Post
4
Replies
80
Views
9K
  • Last Post
5
Replies
113
Views
17K
Replies
44
Views
5K
Replies
65
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
11K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
2K
Replies
36
Views
19K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
2K
Top