Are additives and preservatives in food bad for the human body?

In summary: Chapel HillIn summary, the article discusses the history of food additives and preservatives, and how they have changed over time. The article also discusses the benefits and drawbacks of using these additives.
timeuser84
Hi I would like to know the facts about this

Biology news on Phys.org
timeuser84 said:
Are additives and preservatives in food bad for the human body?
I think the way the question is asked is incomplete: what matters is not if they are bad, it's whether it is worse to have them or not.

Likes jim mcnamara, Rive, Evo and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
I think the way the question is asked is incomplete: what matters is not if they are bad, it's whether it is worse to have them or not.
Exactly, salt is a preservative.

I think @russ_watters was rather thinking about the amount/variety (!) of guaranteed quality (!) food becoming available all year around (!) than preservatives which happen to have nutritional value.

Likes russ_watters
Rive said:
I think @russ_watters was rather thinking about the amount/variety (!) of guaranteed quality (!) food becoming available all year around (!) than preservatives which happen to have nutritional value.
Yes, food with preservatives has a longer, more stable/predictable shelf life - that's what "preserve" means. That makes it less likely you'll accidentally eat spoiled food. E.G., lat year's pickle incident where a jar of pickles I had went bad weeks before its expiration date:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fermenting-pickles.948675/
Also, as you note, not all of the benefits are nutritional/health, which makes the analysis very qualitative.

Last edited:
Apropos of @russ_watters comment:
food poisoning (gastrointestinal infections) was in the top 10 causes of death in 1900. Taking into consideration the fact that Medical Science back then was much more art than science, so the data is not great, it still shows the effect of preserving foods safely. In 2000 food poisoning was rare, much less deadly and mostly something the CDC and USDA tracked.

Example

Credit University of North Carolina

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters and Rive

1. Are all additives and preservatives in food harmful?

No, not all additives and preservatives in food are harmful. Some are necessary for food safety and to maintain the quality and freshness of food. However, some additives and preservatives may have negative effects on the human body.

2. What are the potential negative effects of additives and preservatives on the human body?

Some additives and preservatives have been linked to allergic reactions, digestive issues, and other health concerns. They may also contribute to the development of certain diseases and conditions.

3. How can I identify which additives and preservatives are harmful?

It can be difficult to identify which additives and preservatives are harmful, as they often have complex names and are listed under the general term "artificial flavors" or "artificial colors". It is best to read ingredient labels carefully and do research on specific additives and preservatives to determine their potential effects.

4. Are there any natural alternatives to additives and preservatives?

Yes, there are natural alternatives to additives and preservatives, such as using natural preservatives like vinegar, salt, and sugar, or using natural flavorings like herbs and spices. However, these may not be as effective in preserving food and may have a shorter shelf life.

5. How can I limit my exposure to harmful additives and preservatives?

To limit your exposure to harmful additives and preservatives, you can try to eat more whole, unprocessed foods and avoid highly processed and packaged foods. You can also read ingredient labels and choose products with fewer additives and preservatives or opt for organic and natural food options.