Are all EM waves produced by accelerating charges?

In summary, a static charge at rest only produces an electric field, while a charge moving with constant velocity produces both electric and magnetic fields. According to Maxwell's equations, accelerating charges are the source of all electromagnetic radiation. This is a general result, as every accelerated charge radiates electromagnetic energy. However, in Quantum Electrodynamics, this is only partially true as there are also other sources of radiation besides accelerating charges.
rugerts
So, a static charge at rest produces an electric field, but no magnetic field.
A charge moving with constant velocity produces both electric and magnetic fields.

Why is it that accelerating charges are the source of all electromagnetic radiation?
How would one go about showing this using Maxwell's equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
rugerts said:
Why is it that accelerating charges are the source of all electromagnetic radiation?
Maxwell’s equations will not show this. There are perfectly valid vacuum solutions, meaning solutions with no charges or currents.

Likes lowlize
Dale said:
Maxwell’s equations will not show this. There are perfectly valid vacuum solutions, meaning solutions with no charges or currents.

It is a bit odd the way you state it. According to Maxwell's equations, EM waves are either due to time varying charge and current densities (about same thing as accelerating charges) OR we have the vacuum solutions as you say.

rugerts said:
Using Maxwell's equations is not easy. The simplest way is to use the integrals which give the scalar and vector potentials as functions of (retarded) charge density and (retarded) current density:

Φ = 1/(4πε0) ∫ρ(r', t-|r-r'|/c)/|r-r'| dV'

A = (μ0/4π) ∫j(r', t-|r-r'|/c)/|r-r'|dV'

Φ = scalar potential
A = vector potential
r = position vector where you compute the potential or the field
r' = position vector where the sources (charges or currents) are located
dV' = volume element of the sources.

Then:

E = -∇Φ -∂A/∂t
B = ∇∧A = rot A

--
lightarrow

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
lightarrow said:
Using Maxwell's equations is not easy.
As a matter of interest, although Maxwell described an EM wave, did he know how to create radiation? There were no antennas at that time. I had the impression that it was not until Larmor that the "accelerating charge" idea came about. I don't think Hertz mentioned accelerating charges.

tech99 said:
As a matter of interest, although Maxwell described an EM wave, did he know how to create radiation? There were no antennas at that time. I had the impression that it was not until Larmor that the "accelerating charge" idea came about. I don't think Hertz mentioned accelerating charges.

I think Hertz experiments with the "spark gap oscillator" show that he knew that time varying currents (which are being constituted by accelerating charges) of big enough frequency and big enough amplitude give rise to EM-waves. But EM waves were of pure theoretical interest at Hertz's time i believe for one main reason:
The transmission and reception technology were not yet discovered. I mean mainly the amplifier technology (with tubes which were discovered later at 1905) was not yet available, so without amplifying technology they could neither produce a strong enough EM wave (that would carry a useful signal) , neither amplify the signal from an antenna that receive a weak EM wave.

Last edited:
rugerts said:
So, a static charge at rest produces an electric field, but no magnetic field.
A charge moving with constant velocity produces both electric and magnetic fields.

This is the opposite of what we normally get in this forum. Usually we have people claiming that ALL EM radiation is due to atomic transition, not knowing about accelerating charges. Now, comes the claim going the other way.

Zz.

Likes anorlunda, tech99 and Delta2
Dale said:
This confuses me. Why do you mention the vacuum? I wasn't limiting myself to the vacuum. Quoting from my textbook, University Physics 14th Edition (Young and Freedman), "Maxwell's equations can also be used to show that in order for a point charge to produce electromagnetic waves, the charge must accelerate. In fact, it's a general result of Maxwell's equations that every accelerated charge radiates electromagnetic energy."

Likes Delta2
ZapperZ said:
This is the opposite of what we normally get in this forum. Usually we have people claiming that ALL EM radiation is due to atomic transition, not knowing about accelerating charges. Now, comes the claim going the other way.

Zz.
It's funny that you mention this. I asked my TA about this very question and he was sort of puzzled and said that the textbook is wrong and vaguely mentioned something about energy levels. The only knowledge I have of this is the really crude, intro chemistry type stuff (so, really none). Could you expand a bit more or would it require too much? If the textbook is wrong, I don't understand why they can't take the time to add small caveats and say something along the lines of "not entirely true... keep reading".

Your book is correct as far as we are concerned with classical electrodynamics (or classical electromagnetism) and i believe your course's name is classical electromagnetism or something like that.
But if we go into Quantum Electrodynamics your book is partially correct. Except accelerating charges there is also the transition of electrons inside the atom that can produce EM waves.

Delta2 said:
Your book is correct as far as we are concerned with classical electrodynamics (or classical electromagnetism) and i believe your course's name is classical electromagnetism or something like that.
But if we go into Quantum Electrodynamics your book is partially correct. Except accelerating charges there is also the transition of electrons inside the atom that can produce EM waves.
Oh. So, it's not that the quantum electrodynamics completely dismissed what my book is saying, it's just that it added another layer to it (i.e. another way that we see EM waves can be produced)?

Likes Delta2
lightarrow said:
Using Maxwell's equations is not easy. The simplest way is to use the integrals which give the scalar and vector potentials as functions of (retarded) charge density and (retarded) current density:

Φ = 1/(4πε0) ∫ρ(r', t-|r-r'|/c)/|r-r'| dV'

A = (μ0/4π) ∫j(r', t-|r-r'|/c)/|r-r'|dV'

Φ = scalar potential
A = vector potential
r = position vector where you compute the potential or the field
r' = position vector where the sources (charges or currents) are located
dV' = volume element of the sources.

Then:

E = -∇Φ -∂A/∂t
B = ∇∧A = rot A

--
lightarrow
Thank you for the time and in depth reply! I don't know if this would be asking too much, but do you mind expanding a bit on the thought process behind this derivation? Is there somewhere in there describing acceleration? I'm currently learning multivariable calculus alongside E&M, so I'm quite new to both.

rugerts said:
Oh. So, it's not that the quantum electrodynamics completely dismissed what my book is saying, it's just that it added another layer to it (i.e. another way that we see EM waves can be produced)?
Essentially yes. To be more precise, QED says that when electrons or other charged particles change states then a photon (which is the same as an EM wave for the sake of simplicity) could be emitted.
Now when an electron is accelerated , it is obviously changing states cause his energy (energy is one of the fundamental quantity that characterizes a state in quantum physics) is changing.

Likes rugerts
rugerts said:
Thank you for the time and in depth reply! I don't know if this would be asking too much, but do you mind expanding a bit on the thought process behind this derivation? Is there somewhere in there describing acceleration? I'm currently learning multivariable calculus alongside E&M, so I'm quite new to both.
Deriving it it's too long to write here. In books like this:
Classical Electricity and Magnetism - Panofsky - Phillips - second edition
there is the complete derivation at chapter 14, at least for monochromatic waves. Here is the conclusion:

https://i.postimg.cc/05YyktpT/IMG-20181130-124007.jpg

The currents density j is proportional to the charges velocity, so its time derivative is of course proportional to charges acceleration.
This as answer to your question of relating radiation fields to the sources.
Concerning how to derive the equations I wrote in my previous post, again it's too long and in the Book cited here is made at the first two paragraphs of the same chapter 14. This is the conclusion:
https://i.postimg.cc/VNVtvc3B/IMG-20181130-125618.jpg

--
lightarrow

Last edited:
Likes rugerts
rugerts said:
Why do you mention the vacuum?
Because you asked if Maxwell’s equations can be used to show that all EM waves are produced by accelerating charges. The existence of vacuum solutions contradicts that since vacuum solutions have waves without any charges at all.

rugerts said:
In fact, it's a general result of Maxwell's equations that every accelerated charge radiates electromagnetic energy
This statement has to be handled with caution since it can lead to wrong conclusions in certain cases. However, even accepting this, the converse is not true. All accelerated charges radiate does not imply all radiation is from accelerated charges. Vacuum solutions are a counterexample.

The existence of vacuum solutions is central to your question

Likes lowlize
First comment: If I have a magnet in my hand and I move it back and forth (it accelerates, yes, but there is no charge), wouldn't it create EM waves? Wouldn't that be a case of classical electrodynamics causing EM waves without any charged particle?

Second comment: I've read that there's still a debate on whether a linearly constant accelerated particle would display radiation. See https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...ing-charged-particle-emit-em-radiation-or-not.

Dale said:
Because you asked if Maxwell’s equations can be used to show that all EM waves are produced by accelerating charges. The existence of vacuum solutions contradicts that since vacuum solutions have waves without any charges at all.

This statement has to be handled with caution since it can lead to wrong conclusions in certain cases. However, even accepting this, the converse is not true. All accelerated charges radiate does not imply all radiation is from accelerated charges. Vacuum solutions are a counterexample.

The existence of vacuum solutions is central to your question
How do the EM waves exist and have no charges? A quick google search led me to the following post: https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/156707/electromagnetic-waves-in-vacuum
which, if I'm not wrong in my interpretation but very well could be, looks like there's still going to be charges associated with the EM waves in the vacuum.

lightarrow said:
Deriving it it's too long to write here. In books like this:
Classical Electricity and Magnetism - Panofsky - Phillips - second edition
there is the complete derivation at chapter 14, at least for monochromatic waves. Here is the conclusion:

https://i.postimg.cc/05YyktpT/IMG-20181130-124007.jpg

The currents density j is proportional to the charges velocity, so its time derivative is of course proportional to charges acceleration.
This as answer to your question of relating radiation fields to the sources.
Concerning how to derive the equations I wrote in my previous post, again it's too long and in the Book cited here is made at the first two paragraphs of the same chapter 14. This is the conclusion:
https://i.postimg.cc/VNVtvc3B/IMG-20181130-125618.jpg

--
lightarrow
Thanks!

fluidistic said:
First comment: If I have a magnet in my hand and I move it back and forth (it accelerates, yes, but there is no charge), wouldn't it create EM waves? Wouldn't that be a case of classical electrodynamics causing EM waves without any charged particle?
How do you make a magnet which has no charged particles?

rugerts said:
How do the EM waves exist and have no charges?
The existence of vacuum solutions implies that the existence of EM waves does not logically require the existence of charges. That said, I think there are few if any such EM waves now.

Likes lowlize
fluidistic said:

According to classical physics the magnetic field of permanent magnets is due to bound current density ##J_b## (though we know from quantum physics this is not the real cause of magnetization but let's stay in classical physics here). When we move a magnet back and forth is like we moving the current density ##J_b## back and forth, that is we create a spatially and temporally varying current density. It is about as moving a DC current carrying wire back and forth.

Likes fluidistic
Delta2 said:
According to classical physics the magnetic field of permanent magnets is due to bound current density ##J_b## (though we know from quantum physics this is not the real cause of magnetization but let's stay in classical physics here). When we move a magnet back and forth is like we moving the current density ##J_b## back and forth, that is we create a spatially and temporally varying current density. It is about as moving a DC current carrying wire back and forth.
Touché! I did not know that. Impressive!
I was wrong then, sorry.

Likes Delta2
tech99 said:
How do you make a magnet which has no charged particles?
This is true but in conventional magnets it's actually the electrons' magnetic moment which gives rise to the B field, not the movement of charges, so when you move the magnet (e.g.) back and forth it's the B field time variation which generates the em wave, isn't it?
I know you talked about "classical" electrodynamics and that the B field generated from permanent magnets can be formally described as due to magnetization currents, but I think the OP is probably looking for a bit deeper explanation.

--
lightarrow

Dale said:
The existence of vacuum solutions implies that the existence of EM waves does not logically require the existence of charges. That said, I think there are few if any such EM waves now.
Any particular exact solution to Maxwell's equations requires specification of boundary conditions. I believe that these in turn require some charges to be (or have been) shaken...perhaps "offstage"... for an interesting result. Am I wrong here?

hutchphd said:
Am I wrong here?
Yes. All you need is the fields.

Likes lowlize
Dale said:
Yes. All you need is the fields.
Isn't the vacuum solution just a theoretical solution? In the physical reality, all fields have some sources, fields without sources simply don't exist, at least that's the case for the EM-field , isn't it?

Delta2 said:
In the physical reality, all fields have some sources, fields without sources simply don't exist, at least that's the case for the EM-field , isn't it?
The oldest extant photons have their source on the surface of last scattering, so they do have material sources. However, shortly after the Big Bang you certainly had many “primordial” photons that did not originate from matter. The fields do not logically require material sources, and although currently we do not see EM fields without matter sources that was not always the case.

Likes aaroman, lowlize and lightarrow
Dale said:
shortly after the Big Bang you certainly had many “primordial” photons that did not originate from matter

Certainly I am unconvinced. How does one know there were not accelerated electrical charges involved? Please elaborate.

hutchphd said:
Certainly I am unconvinced.
Ok, I am not going to argue about speculative conditions at the Big Bang. I will just assert that Maxwell’s equations have vacuum solutions. Therefore the presence of charges is not logically necessary regardless of how ubiquitous it is now.

Last edited:
Dale said:
Ok, I am not going to argue about speculative conditions at the Big Bang. I will just assert that Maxwell’s equations have vacuum solutions. Therefore the presence of charges is not logically necessary regardless of how ubiquitous it is now.
Fair enough. I think we are at a "chicken vs. egg" point! Thanks.

1. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that can travel through space. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles, and they consist of both electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other.

2. What is the relationship between EM waves and accelerating charges?

EM waves are produced by accelerating charges, meaning that when charged particles are accelerated, they create disturbances in the electric and magnetic fields, which then propagate as EM waves. This is known as the electromagnetic radiation process.

3. Are all EM waves produced by accelerating charges?

Yes, all EM waves are produced by accelerating charges. This includes all types of EM waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

4. Can EM waves be produced without accelerating charges?

No, EM waves cannot be produced without accelerating charges. Any time an electrically charged particle is accelerated, it creates a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields, resulting in the production of EM waves.

5. How do we use the knowledge of EM waves and accelerating charges in everyday life?

The understanding of EM waves and accelerating charges is crucial in various technologies, such as communication systems, medical imaging, and energy production. For example, radio waves are used for wireless communication, X-rays for medical imaging, and microwaves for cooking food. Additionally, the study of EM waves and accelerating charges is essential in understanding the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and the behavior of light.