Are all fundamental particles singular?

In summary: Zee was a defender of the possibility that quarks are not composites but SUSY to composites... of quarks.
Loren Booda
Is there a fundamental particle (like a Planck black hole) that has a finite radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
Except for the "fat graviton" theory, none.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a fundamental particle, but protons and neutrons have finite charge radii (Hofstadter's experiments at Stanford)
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a fundamental particle

Particles without any apparent internal structure. Quarks, electrons, etc..

Particles without any apparent internal structure. Quarks, electrons, etc

This the QT view, particle physics give figures for the electron radius and atomic nuclei radii. Therefore they must have internal structure, its the old take your choice atitude.

jhmar said:
Particles without any apparent internal structure. Quarks, electrons, etc

This the QT view, particle physics give figures for the electron radius and atomic nuclei radii. Therefore they must have internal structure, its the old take your choice atitude.

Maybe Quarks and Electrons are built from particles to small to be detected yet, sort of of like a planet compare to a single Atom is size or is it finally over?

Maybe Quarks and Electrons are built from particles to small to be detected yet, sort of of like a planet compare to a single Atom is size or is it finally over?

As far as I know no part of QT predicts smaller particles. There have been attempts to build a 'Single Elementary Particle Theory' using QT (do a google search) but, so far, none have gained general acceptance.

Loren Booda said:
Is there a fundamental particle (like a Planck black hole) that has a finite radius?

If there was, it would be know as a Quantum Mono Wave?

As far as I know no part of QT predicts smaller particles. There have been attempts to build a 'Single Elementary Particle Theory' using QT (do a google search) but, so far, none have gained general acceptance.

arivero

Except for the "fat graviton" theory, none.

Can you please give a reference to this theory?

QT treats particles as wavy perturbations in a field of said particles, therefore no finite bounds, think fuzzy. Since QT is a nondeterministic, probablistic theory it could not allow for discrete, finite particles. The days are gone where particles were little round, hard balls. sigh

Atoms are made of parts that don't add up to the mass of the atom, quarks' mass doesn't add up to the particles' mass. Maybe it's like peeling an onion, at the final layer it still only onion, with mass it's only energy at the bottom.

jhmar, google for it. I think that Zee was a defender of this possibility, and Smolin refers to it somewhere. Basically a delocalised graviton instead of extra dimensions.

As for quark compositeness (preon theory) it is very limited because of a principle related to anomalous currents. But some work is done from time to time. My own position is that quarks are not composites but SUSY to composites... of quarks.

jhmar, google for it

On another subject, I had just given the same advice! I feel justly chastised,
jhmar

well. the point is that "fat graviton", with quotes, is a search narrow enough to get links of quality in the first page of results, and that my own acquitance with this theory is rather poor. And I suggested "Zee" and "Smolin" as additional keywords to narrow the search.

Last edited:
kublai said:
QT treats particles as wavy perturbations in a field of said particles, therefore no finite bounds, think fuzzy. Since QT is a nondeterministic, probablistic theory it could not allow for discrete, finite particles. The days are gone where particles were little round, hard balls. sigh

What do you mean by that? :confused:

Daniel.

1. What are fundamental particles?

Fundamental particles are the basic building blocks of matter. They are the smallest, indivisible units that make up all matter in the universe.

2. How many fundamental particles are there?

Currently, there are 17 known fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. These include 6 quarks, 6 leptons, and 5 bosons.

3. Are all fundamental particles singular?

Yes, all fundamental particles are singular. This means that they cannot be divided into smaller units and they exist as individual particles.

4. Can fundamental particles combine to form larger particles?

Yes, fundamental particles can combine to form larger particles. For example, quarks combine to form protons and neutrons, while protons and neutrons combine to form atoms.

5. How do we know that fundamental particles are singular?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations that demonstrate the indivisibility of fundamental particles. Additionally, the Standard Model of particle physics, which has been extensively tested and verified, also supports the idea of singular fundamental particles.