Are all great musicians good at physics?

• Music
  • Thread starter tarekatpf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there is no direct correlation between being a great musician and being good at physics. While there are examples of musicians who were also proficient in physics, it is not a requirement for success in music. It is possible for individuals to excel in one area without being proficient in another. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests.
Hornbein said:
Pro musicians as a whole are a lot more interested in drugs and drinking than physics.

Tiger Woods is interested in physics.

At the risk of going off-topic... :wink:

I suppose Tiger Woods would be interested in physics in so far as golf is concerned, but has he ever publicly expressed in the subject? From what I've read, he graduated from Stanford with a BA in economics.

Science news on Phys.org
Music is very creative, I listen to it or play it when I'm stuck on something. Engineering can be methodical and meticulous and sometimes after eight hours of tiptoeing around code it's a nice release to turn on my amp and improvise. I find drawing way more relaxing, however.

StatGuy2000 said:
At the risk of going off-topic... :wink:

I suppose Tiger Woods would be interested in physics in so far as golf is concerned, but has he ever publicly expressed in the subject? From what I've read, he graduated from Stanford with a BA in economics.

Sort of. There was a physics book on the dashboard of his SUV during the notorious accident.

Hornbein said:
Back in Switzerland Einstein gave a concert. A usic critic visited who didn't know Einstein, didn't know about physics. Critic said that the performance was excellent, but couldn't understand why E was so famous.

That is, he was good enough to turn pro, but not enough for stardom.

As for piano, I never heard anything about his abilities. I got the impression he took it up late in life.

Does nothing unsettle or annoy you? I was trying to elicit a more smart alec, energetic response. This place gets boring sometimes! :frown:

If it is true that many of the best scientists are also good musicians, I'm not sure there is a causal link between the 2 but rather an incidental link.
Many of the best scientists also attended the best schools, and the people attending the best schools are mostly but not only the offsprings of a cultural and/or financial elite. In these circles, it is common to study music at a fairly good level as a hobby, the same way that people play football on sundays in other circles.
I see at least 2 counter exemples of really outstanding maths student that don't match the profile of a good musician. One was only interested in driving suburban trains and studied maths as a hobby. The other developped outstanding maths skills after a psychological shock (the loss of his brother) at the cost of most of his social skills, but had average interest in maths before that.

I imagine something like this conversation going on on a tour bus in the seventies:

"Hey man, you even wonder, like... what is light? It's like it's moving through my hands."
"It's like a wave, man. Like ripples on a pond."
"Nah man, it's bouncing off my hand like a particle. My hands are huge!"
"That's because it's both, man! It's both!"
"Whoa!" *uncontrollable giggling*
6469c41a505760804c387ccd816ec374.jpg

https://65.media.tumblr.com/83366a016eb926e1c5ee38cfd51d8065/tumblr_ny962yIzDv1tqsdzco1_500.png

Last edited by a moderator: