Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are all particles identical?

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1
    http://math.rutgers.edu/~oldstein/papers/aapi.pdf

i havent yet read it , but the writer is an advocate of bohmian mechanics so i guess there is an influence in this paper from bohm mech.
    ( ill read it tommorrow).
    anyway i think with this kind of a title to paper it should catch some attention, dont you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quite interesting and mathematized this picture,but i couldn't see how he dealt with the problem itself:deing able to treat on equal footing spin different particles.He gave an example with an electron and a muon,which are both soin 1/2 particles.I wonder how his equations would look for an electron and a meson.

Daniel.

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3
    If the tiniest particle is of one type, then it should be possible to create a computer simulation where this can be show. eg. consider a particle G. as everything has gravity.

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    Came accross the following when researching this subject:

Are All Particles Identical? by
    Sheldon Goldstein, James Taylory, Roderich Tumulkaz, and Nino Zanghox PACS numbers 03.65.Ta. (foundations of quantum mechanics) published September 28, 2004

I subscribe to the view thar all particles are identical because it is a simple matter to construct a model where all particles carry the same linear force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?