Are Electron Orbits Really Circular or Is It Just an Artist's Depiction?

• Thread starter hinella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity and accuracy of images of atoms taken by IBM and other sophisticated instruments. The participants question whether the images can be trusted, considering that electrons and the nucleus cannot be seen directly. They also mention the concept of quantum mechanics and how it affects the visualization of atoms. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the shape of atoms and the limitations of imaging them.
hinella
I have seen some pictures of atoms taken by IBM, they seem like blurred round balls. Even other pictures with sophisticated instruments give a similar view. Are these pictures real ? Can they be trusted ? I ask this because electrons cannot be seen in any way aside from the fact that they are "point like" particles, the nucleus can't be seen directly, so how can you see the sum of two things that can't be seen ?

Is the image just an artists depiction ? And then why are they round when quantum mechanics says that they are just probabilities ? Anyways very weird situation, not totally convinced by IBM and others that they have real pictures of atoms.

And how fast are the electrons circling around the nucleus ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Becasue electron microscopes require the use of many.emany electrons to create an image, what you are 'seeing' is time-averaged. I suppose one could argue that the orbital is being imaged... I'm not sure I would, though.

In a true quantum-mechanical picture, electrons do not 'move' or orbit the nucleus. In fact, velocity is poorly-defined in quantum mechanics because of the uncertainty principle.

My opinion; shapes are not important and nobody may see it. Only known thing about looking is the approximate borders of electron orbits abroad nucleus. So for Bohr, these are circle. Some cases they must ellipse. All cases look like a round thing :) this must be the reason. And you know, angels are illustrated as woman in paintings. Who saw?

1. Are all atoms round in shape?

No, not all atoms are round in shape. The shape of an atom depends on the electron distribution around its nucleus.

2. Why do we often see atoms represented as round spheres?

Atoms are often represented as round spheres in diagrams to simplify their structure and make them easier to understand. This representation is not meant to be a literal depiction of their shape.

3. Do all elements have the same atomic shape?

No, the shape of an atom can vary depending on its atomic number and electron configuration. Different elements have different numbers of protons and electrons, leading to different shapes.

4. Can atoms change their shape?

Yes, atoms can change their shape under certain conditions. For example, atoms can be compressed or stretched when subjected to high pressures or temperatures.

5. How do scientists determine the shape of an atom?

Scientists use various methods, such as X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy, to determine the shape of an atom. These techniques allow them to visualize the electron distribution around the nucleus.