Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are black holes a reality

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

there is so much in the literature about BHs, but AFAIK only observations
    of some gravitational disturbance has been observed, how can we ascribe
    this to some thing that is purely hypothetical?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's a contradiction. If its based on observations, then it isn't purely hypothetical.

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The black hole situation is tricky, but here's the basic gist: we've observed gravitational influences that cannot be explained by the mainstream theories in any way other than to invoke a black hole. In other words, we're assuming they're black holes because of the theory. For them to be something else would probably require new physics.

I would certainly say that this is not a bad first guess as to their identity, but I think we should be careful about making assumptions. After all, we assumed that the universe would be decelerating before we observed it to be behaving otherwise.

6. May 1, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Sorry Russ_watters, i will choose my words better next time, hopefully.

7. May 1, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Space Tiger
    I would certainly say that this is not a bad first guess as to their identity, but I think we should be careful about making assumptions. After all, we assumed that the universe would be decelerating before we observed it to be behaving otherwise.

I could not agree more, but it has been mentioned in the literature, that
    new science may be needed to explain other astro anomalies.

8. May 2, 2005 #7
    purely hypothetical would be a collision of two "distortions of gravity" aka black holes........I'd like to hear theories on that.

9. May 2, 2005 #8
    actually we have seen what we believe to be black holes. We have pictures or the acretion (spelling) disks and the jets that are around the black hole. Of course, we could be wrong about whats inside but whatever it is would need a massive amount of gravity. Also, im pretty sure I read somewhere that we can detect X-rays coming from the event horizon. These are made by anti-matter and matter colliding at the event horrizon.

10. May 3, 2005 #9

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Such collisions are expected to produce large amounts of gravitational radiation. In fact, the LIGO project is attempting to detect these events.

11. May 3, 2005 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We of course have images of jets (they can extend to megaparsecs in size), but I've not heard of imaging of accretion disks. Do you have a reference?

12. May 3, 2005 #11
  13. May 3, 2005 #12

wolram

Gold Member

SetAI

That is rather convincing, is anything known about the bodies orbiting
    this central mass?

14. May 3, 2005 #13
    I've seen it theorized somewhere that our own sun is supposedly orbiting a BH 1/10 its' size. I think that must be utter nonsense, but maybe I'm missing something crucial that would make it possible?

15. May 10, 2005 #14
  16. May 10, 2005 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sun orbits the center of the galaxy which is believed to contain a supermassive BH, but there's not a BH included in our local solar system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?