Are Black Holes Cold? - Ask an Astrophysicist

In summary: the law of thermodynamics also states that energy in is energy out...meaning that the black hole does not suck in heat but rather radiates it back out. if the black hole is extremely small then the temp will be very high, but as it grows larger the temperature will decrease. also, there is some controversy about temperature inside the black hole, as it is a highly curved spacetime and the laws we know at lower energies may not apply. however, it is generally accepted that black holes are cold, but this may depend on their size and other factors.
conan
Hi,

new here, my first post. Like many people here, I'm no astrophysist, but I have an active interest in our solar system, cosmology in general and I guess astrophysics. Here's my first question.

"Are black holes cold?".

Given my amateur understanding, I would say yes, they are near absolute zero (they leak very slowly). But if light can't escape it, then I don't see how other wave forms can escape it. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any opinions.

conan

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The temperature of a black hole is inversely related to its mass. But generally speaking, yes, black holes are cold, as it takes a less than stellar mass BH to have a temp greater than even the Cosmic Background radiation.

This is an application of the first law of thermodynamics, energy in is energy out. The black hole doesn't 'suck' in heat the same as it 'sucks' in matter.

Janus said:
The temperature of a black hole is inversely related to its mass. But generally speaking, yes, black holes are cold, as it takes a less than stellar mass BH to have a temp greater than even the Cosmic Background radiation.

Assuming Hawking's quantum black holes exist, what about temperature in that realm?
I do not see how anything near Planck Length in size can have measurable properties like that.

It just seems odd to me that someone would postulate being able to measure temperature inside a region of highly curved spacetime, where the other physical laws on which we base the concept of temperature (here in flat spacetime) are inapplicable. Since this is clearly not my field I would appreciate some correction.

Last edited:
The Hawking radiation is a speculative theoretical derivation. Hawking considered what happens to light radiation before, during and after creation of a black hole from gravitationally collapsing body. The light rays that escape after the BH formation almost glazed the forming and expanding event horizon but never got inside so there is no contradiction with the idea that nothing can escape from inside an even horizon. The result of the calculation was that after the BH formation, the rays that manage to glaze the horizon and escape back to infinity will have a thermal spectrum characterized by a temperature that is inversely proportional to the BH mass. I think there is still controversy going on because close to the horizon, the photons were very high in energy (blue shift), even above Planck's scale, and we can't be sure as you said that the laws we know at lower energies still apply.Also I've seen statements in the literature that the classical eternal black hole of GR that exists forever, never created or destroyed, is symmetric in time therefore it doesn't radiate like a BH formed from gravitational collapse. They say that the eternal black hole has another natural choice of vacuum for the radiation which doesn't produce Hawking radiation.

Last edited:
where is kenetic energy of accreted matter?

the black hore is formed by accreted matter from second star. the speed of accreted matter can reach the light speed at the last orbit [tex] R_g\sffamily\approx \sqrt{\frac{G M}{c^2}}[/tex]. After this limit neither light no matter can escape from the system , my question where is passed the kenitic energy of the matter accreted at this high speed?

the matter is accreted with its energy into black hole, and no things can escape from there after this moment. logicaly the black is not so cold. matter cross the horizon limit with a high speed and consequently its kenitic energy is very high and will be converted to thermal energy.

thanks

I think there is still controversy going on because close to the horizon, the photons were very high in energy (blue shift), even above Planck's scale, and we can't be sure as you said that the laws we know at lower energies still apply.

I guess I don't understand - I thought anything "operating" beyond Planck's scale was considered either impossible or dismissed as an artifact. Therefore, a photon with wavlength shorter than Planck's length either could not be observed or doesn't exist? Or maybe we cannot describe it...

tarbag said:
the matter is accreted with its energy into black hole, and no things can escape from there after this moment. logicaly the black is not so cold. matter cross the horizon limit with a high speed and consequently its kenitic energy is very high and will be converted to thermal energy.

thanks
yes i agree....black holes could be a lot warmer than previously thought

conan said:
Hi,

new here, my first post. Like many people here, I'm no astrophysist, but I have an active interest in our solar system, cosmology in general and I guess astrophysics. Here's my first question.

"Are black holes cold?".

Given my amateur understanding, I would say yes, they are near absolute zero (they leak very slowly). But if light can't escape it, then I don't see how other wave forms can escape it. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any opinions.

conan

a black holes event horizon bares an inverse ratio with its temperature. the bigger the event horizon the less the temp it has.this says that smaller black holes are red hot while large black holes are cooler as compared to the small ones.

1. Are black holes really cold or hot?

Black holes are actually both hot and cold. The temperature of a black hole is determined by its size. Smaller black holes, known as stellar-mass black holes, are extremely hot and can reach temperatures of millions of degrees. On the other hand, larger black holes, known as supermassive black holes, are relatively cold with temperatures around absolute zero.

2. How does a black hole's temperature affect its surroundings?

A black hole's temperature has a significant impact on its surroundings. The intense heat generated by smaller black holes can cause surrounding matter to heat up and emit X-rays, making them visible to telescopes. On the other hand, the cold temperatures of supermassive black holes may have a cooling effect on their surrounding galaxies.

3. Can anything escape a black hole's extreme temperatures?

Nothing can escape the intense heat of a smaller black hole. However, the colder temperatures of supermassive black holes allow some matter, such as gas and dust, to escape their gravitational pull, forming what is known as an active galactic nucleus.

4. How do scientists measure the temperature of a black hole?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the temperature of a black hole. One method is by measuring the X-rays emitted from the superheated matter surrounding a smaller black hole. Another method is by studying the effects of a black hole's gravitational pull on the surrounding matter.

5. Can black holes ever cool down or heat up?

Black holes do not cool down or heat up like objects in our everyday lives. Their temperature is solely dependent on their size. However, as black holes absorb more matter, their size can increase, which in turn can affect their temperature. In theory, if a black hole were to absorb enough matter, it could potentially become hotter or cooler.