Is There Evidence Supporting Brains as Quantum Computers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of brains being quantum computers and the evidence for this claim. The speaker is considering studying quantum computation, but is unsure if it is relevant to their interest in machine learning. The theory of brains being quantum computers is not widely accepted by mainstream neuroscientists and has been heavily criticized. It is not appropriate for discussion in the current forum.
ektrules
I've heard it claimed before that brains could be quantum computers (I think it was on Through the Wormhole). Is there any evidence of this?

I'm thinking about reading up on quantum computation, but don't know anything about quantum mechanics yet. I'm mostly interested in machine learning, and not yet sure if quantum computing is a worthwhile thing to study. I.e. I'm not sure if quantum computers are possible/practical. If brains are quantum computers, then I would at least know quantum computing is possible and practical in some sense.

Biology news on Phys.org
No; the theory was made popular by a theoretical physicist (Penrose). It's not accepted by mainstream neuroscientists.

Quantum mind theories have been widely criticised and if they ever meet a burden of proof they can be discussed. Right now though they are not appropriate for this forum.

1. Are brains really quantum computers?

There is ongoing debate and research on the topic, but the current scientific consensus is that brains are not quantum computers. While there are some quantum processes that occur in the brain, they are not significant enough to classify the brain as a quantum computer.

2. What are the similarities between brains and quantum computers?

Both brains and quantum computers have the ability to process information and perform complex calculations. They also both utilize parallel processing and have the potential for high computational power.

3. Can quantum computing help us understand the brain better?

Yes, studying quantum computing can provide insights into the complex processes of the brain. However, it is important to note that the brain is still a vastly more complex system than any current quantum computer, so there is no guarantee that quantum computing will fully explain the brain.

4. Are there any experiments that prove the brain is a quantum computer?

No, there are currently no experiments that definitively prove that the brain operates as a quantum computer. While there are some indications of quantum processes in the brain, more research is needed to fully understand the role of quantum mechanics in brain function.

5. Can we build a quantum computer that mimics the brain?

It is currently not possible to build a quantum computer that mimics the brain's functions. The brain is incredibly complex and operates on a scale far beyond any current technology. While studying the brain may inspire advancements in quantum computing, it is unlikely that we will be able to fully replicate the brain's capabilities in a quantum computer.