Are National Stereotypes Just Myths? Examining Aggression Across Cultures

• News
  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, a study has shown that Canadians are not necessarily nicer or more submissive than Americans. In fact, they may be slightly more aggressive. Both Canadians and Americans are more assertive than the global community as a whole. This study has challenged some stereotypes, such as Italians being more passionate and Argentinians being more disagreeable. The study may have been flawed due to being conducted by an American. Overall, the study suggests that nationality does not necessarily determine personality traits.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Evidently not. And Americans aren't hyper-aggressive, either.

It turns out Canadians aren't nicer or more submissive than Americans (in fact they're slightly more aggressive than Americans). Both nationalities are slightly more assertive than the global community as a whole.

Dashing even more of life's illusions, Italians aren't more passionate, Argentinians aren't more disagreeable, Germans aren't more industrious, Indians aren't more unconventional or more open to new experiences, and the French aren't ruder than the average person in the world.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/oct2005/nia-06.htm

(Maybe not exactly Earth-shattering news, but something to consider for those still debating whether to move to Canada or endure 3 more years of Bush :biggrin: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All the Canadians I have *ever* met have been fantastic.

I work with Canadians regularly. I won't comment.

Canadians are nicer. The study is flawed.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Canadians are nicer. The study is flawed.
True that.

Smurf said:
True that.
& Smurf's the exception that proves the rule :wink:

BobG,do you have a link to the actual results of the study ? It's not any place obvious in the NIA site.

BobG said:
It turns out Canadians aren't nicer or more submissive than Americans (in fact they're slightly more aggressive than Americans). Both nationalities are slightly more assertive than the global community as a whole.
The flaw in the study is probably as a result of the test being conducted by an American.

Considering that even Canadian Ministers call Bush a Moron, the tester probably misunderstood the response.

Art said:
& Smurf's the exception that proves the rule :wink:
the rule has no exceptions. It's absolute.

My best Bud's a Canadian AND Iroquois. Growing up in South Texas I NEVER thought that would happen. Also, he speaks French, shhhhhh.

How does a Canadian look like?

Mercator said:
How does a Canadian look like?
Like this
http://www.arkworld.com/southpark/pics/greetings321.jpg

Math Is Hard said:
Like this
http://www.arkworld.com/southpark/pics/greetings321.jpg
Thanks, they do look friendly. Who is Math by the way?

BobG said:
(Maybe not exactly Earth-shattering news, but something to consider for those still debating whether to move to Canada or endure 3 more years of Bush :biggrin: )
It's not the three years of Bush, it's the fact that he could get re-elected - a very sad day in America - and also the lasting effects of his administration esp wrt the Supreme court. We all knew that two or three judges could go.

Last edited:
hAHAHahaha, ya, MIH, those're exactly what all Canadians look like. its amazing they didn't always know kyle's little brother was a canuck... always looked just like one!

and anyways, i think that some of the stereotypes are somewhat true. i know cause i live in a small town in new england, i always try to be really nice and friendly and quaint, especially around tourist season... cause its what's expected. i also know that people from the Mass come here and act like jerks cause that's expected. I'd assume other people sort of do that too. If i was a Canadian i'd probably be more friendly than otherwise, and if i was french i'd probably use that as an excuse to be rude, or if italian i'd be loud. eh

You left out that African Americans don't have a lot of children out of wedlock and that Meixcans don't park old cars on their front lawn.

Wait, those are both true.

EDIT - I forgot to add that all Canadians live in igloos and drive Zamboni's.

Hey Lisa !

what u doing here?

shakin in Your boots?

ho ho

p.s.

we blame everything
on the Canadians.

actualy a lot of the Canadians i know on-line are more anal then the average Canadian i know in person. the anti-american government sentiment is all over though

and what's blamed on Canada besides terrorists in the usa, mad cow and sars?

devil-fire said:
the anti-american government sentiment is all over though.

We have that here too, It's the one thing all intelligent humans can agree on.

1. Are Canadians really nicer people compared to other countries?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it is subjective and based on personal experiences. However, studies have shown that Canadians tend to score higher in traits such as politeness, kindness, and empathy compared to other countries.

2. What factors contribute to Canadians being perceived as nicer people?

Some possible factors include Canada's cultural values of inclusivity, diversity, and equality, as well as the country's reputation for being peaceful and safe. Additionally, the harsh weather conditions in Canada may foster a sense of community and helping others.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for Canadians being nicer?

There is no scientific evidence that directly links nationality to personality traits. However, research has shown that cultural differences and societal norms can influence an individual's behavior and personality.

4. Are there any negative aspects of being perceived as "nicer"?

Being perceived as nice can sometimes lead to people taking advantage of Canadians' politeness and kindness. This can also create pressure to maintain a certain image and can be exhausting for some individuals.

5. Do all Canadians exhibit the same level of "niceness"?

Just like any other country, there is a diverse range of personalities and behaviors among Canadians. While the country may have a reputation for being nice, it is important to recognize that this does not apply to every individual and should not be used to generalize the entire population.

Back