Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Canadians nicer people?

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Evidently not. And Americans aren't hyper-aggressive, either.

It turns out Canadians aren't nicer or more submissive than Americans (in fact they're slightly more aggressive than Americans). Both nationalities are slightly more assertive than the global community as a whole.

Dashing even more of life's illusions, Italians aren't more passionate, Argentinians aren't more disagreeable, Germans aren't more industrious, Indians aren't more unconventional or more open to new experiences, and the French aren't ruder than the average person in the world.

National Stereotype

(Maybe not exactly Earth-shattering news, but something to consider for those still debating whether to move to Canada or endure 3 more years of Bush :biggrin: )
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2
    All the Canadians I have *ever* met have been fantastic.
  4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    I work with Canadians regularly. I won't comment.
  5. Nov 2, 2005 #4
    Canadians are nicer. The study is flawed.
  6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    True that.
  7. Nov 2, 2005 #6

& Smurf's the exception that proves the rule :wink:
  8. Nov 2, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BobG,do you have a link to the actual results of the study ? It's not any place obvious in the NIA site.
  9. Nov 2, 2005 #8
    The flaw in the study is probably as a result of the test being conducted by an American.

Considering that even Canadian Ministers call Bush a Moron, the tester probably misunderstood the response.
  10. Nov 2, 2005 #9
    the rule has no exceptions. It's absolute.
  11. Nov 2, 2005 #10
    My best Bud's a Canadian AND Iroquois. Growing up in South Texas I NEVER thought that would happen. Also, he speaks French, shhhhhh.
  12. Nov 2, 2005 #11
    How does a Canadian look like?
  13. Nov 2, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like this
  14. Nov 2, 2005 #13
    Thanks, they do look friendly. Who is Math by the way?
  15. Nov 2, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not the three years of Bush, it's the fact that he could get re-elected - a very sad day in America - and also the lasting effects of his administration esp wrt the Supreme court. We all knew that two or three judges could go.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  16. Nov 3, 2005 #15
    hAHAHahaha, ya, MIH, those're exactly what all canadians look like. its amazing they didn't always know kyle's little brother was a canuck... always looked just like one!

and anyways, i think that some of the stereotypes are somewhat true. i know cause i live in a small town in new england, i always try to be really nice and friendly and quaint, especially around tourist season... cause its what's expected. i also know that people from the Mass come here and act like jerks cause thats expected. I'd assume other people sort of do that too. If i was a canadian i'd probably be more friendly than otherwise, and if i was french i'd probably use that as an excuse to be rude, or if italian i'd be loud. eh
  17. Nov 3, 2005 #16
    You left out that African Americans don't have alot of children out of wedlock and that Meixcans don't park old cars on their front lawn.

Wait, those are both true.

EDIT - I forgot to add that all Canadians live in igloos and drive Zamboni's.
  18. Nov 4, 2005 #17

Hey Lisa !

what u doin here?

shakin in Your boots?

ho ho
  19. Nov 4, 2005 #18

we blame everything
    on the Canadians.
  20. Nov 4, 2005 #19
    actualy a lot of the canadians i know on-line are more anal then the average canadian i know in person. the anti-american goverment sentiment is all over though

and whats blamed on canada besides terrorists in the usa, mad cow and sars?
  21. Nov 4, 2005 #20
    We have that here too, It's the one thing all intelligent humans can agree on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?