Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are cell phones harmful?

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    Is it true that cell phones can be harmful to a person's health?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a lot of speculation, many studies, and even some industry standards of exposure, but the ultimate conclusion is that there is no strong evidence of any meaningful damage to the body by normal cell phone use.

- Warren

4. Jan 3, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

One way to ask the question that might prove more instructive is "how could cell phones be harmful?" A lot of studies have been done and some sometimes show statistical associations, but unless there is an actual link - a cause - it is improper to conclude that they cause harm.

Cell phones emit radiation at frequencies/energies that cannot break apart the molecular bonds in our cells/dna (like x-rays) and they don't have the energy or correct frequency to generate heat (like microwaves), so there is no known mechanism by which they can cause harm outside of starting a fire.

5. Jan 3, 2007 #4
    www.radar3.com

What youdo you guys think of that site?

It seems to be sending out false information.

6. Jan 3, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Marketing - the ancient art of fooling people.

7. Jan 3, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a crock. Do you really need anyone to debunk claims of a stupid one-and-a-half inch piece of plastic that protects you from computers and electricity :rofl: by "biologically stabilizing" radiation?

It's a thirty dollar piece of plastic that does nothing at all but line its inventor's wallet.

- Warren

8. Jan 3, 2007 #7

russ_watters

Some scams are so bad that it is tough to understand how they are allowed to happen. Just selling that product should be illegal - it looks like fraud to me.

It talks about "stabilizing" the body after radiation has penetrated it (obviously, a 1x2 or whatever it is piece of material can't shield you). If you get irradiated by something that can cause damage, the damage is real and physical and can't be repaired.

9. Jan 4, 2007 #8
    You have got to be joking...

10. Jan 4, 2007 #9
    When you look at the research conducted in the mobile phone bands it is very sketchy and generally concludes that more research is required. I have looked at quite a few studies and none of them are really complete or represent the sort of exposures experienced.
    What is clear is that every time a paper is published showing a possible health effect it is quickly followed by another proving the opposite.
    Whilst I have seen no clear proof one way or the other the research is very reminisent of research into smoking in the 60's and 70's. Who's seen that classic John Wayne interview saying how not smoking was unAmerican, in respose to all those researchers saying that smoking kills.
    I would not be surprised if there was a sudden rash of lawsuits within the next 20 years.
    When you are on a train how many mobile phones, blue tooth and other low level transmitters are you within range of? And when you enter a tunnel all the phones ramp up their power.
    The cumulative effects have not been fully established, but until it is a lot of cash can be made, therefore it is not in the interest of certain businesses to encourage clarity in research.

11. Jan 4, 2007 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Jan 16, 2007 #11
    Actually, a cell phone is more likely to save your life then take it via radiation, by a far shot.
    As you spend 5 minutes pondering this idea, you have already been exposed to thousand of different types of radiation, and therefore could be taking damage.

13. Feb 4, 2007 #12
    what about radiation and possible health effects from cell phone towers? i only ask because one is going to be constructed about 2 blocks from my house. i tried to find some info on them, but most seemed to be from cell phone companies - and therefore are probably not to be trusted.

14. Feb 4, 2007 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Feb 4, 2007 #14

ranger

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:
    Good one Gokul. I cant get enough of these funny commercials.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  16. Feb 4, 2007 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Absolutely! A car accident is four times more likely when using a cell phone.

17. Feb 4, 2007 #16

russ_watters

The answer is the same as with the cell phones themselves. If the frequency of the radiation doesn't interact with your body, it still won't interact with your body if you turn up the wattage.

What is it about cell phones that has people so spooked? People have been listening to the radio for a hundred years!

18. Feb 5, 2007 #17
    yes they are
    they cause people to act like idiots
    esp when driving

19. Feb 5, 2007 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good point well made...

20. Feb 6, 2007 #19
    do you have any sources for this info? any research?

21. Feb 7, 2007 #20
    I belive that the debate in society has to some extent moved away from ionizing radiation, because it is easy to debunk and moved over to somewhat question the influence of magnetic fields. At least in the area where I live.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?