Are Cell Phones Harmful to Your Health?

In summary: The answer is the same as with any other type of radiation exposure - more research is needed to determine any health risks.
Saber
Is it true that cell phones can be harmful to a person's health?

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's a lot of speculation, many studies, and even some industry standards of exposure, but the ultimate conclusion is that there is no strong evidence of any meaningful damage to the body by normal cell phone use.

- Warren

One way to ask the question that might prove more instructive is "how could cell phones be harmful?" A lot of studies have been done and some sometimes show statistical associations, but unless there is an actual link - a cause - it is improper to conclude that they cause harm.

Cell phones emit radiation at frequencies/energies that cannot break apart the molecular bonds in our cells/dna (like x-rays) and they don't have the energy or correct frequency to generate heat (like microwaves), so there is no known mechanism by which they can cause harm outside of starting a fire.

www.radar3.com[/URL]

What youdo you guys think of that site?

It seems to be sending out false information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saber said:
www.radar3.com[/URL]

What youdo you guys think of that site?

It seems to be sending out false information.[/QUOTE]

Marketing - the ancient art of fooling people.

Saber said:
www.radar3.com[/URL]

What youdo you guys think of that site?[/QUOTE]

It's a crock. Do you really need anyone to debunk claims of a stupid one-and-a-half inch piece of plastic that protects you from computers and [I]electricity[/I] :rofl: by "biologically stabilizing" radiation?

It's a thirty dollar piece of plastic that does nothing at all but line its inventor's wallet.

- Warren

Some scams are so bad that it is tough to understand how they are allowed to happen. Just selling that product should be illegal - it looks like fraud to me.

It talks about "stabilizing" the body after radiation has penetrated it (obviously, a 1x2 or whatever it is piece of material can't shield you). If you get irradiated by something that can cause damage, the damage is real and physical and can't be repaired.

[PLAIN]http://www.radar3.com/ said:
*Animals[/PLAIN] [Broken] and Pets.
Animals suffer from electrical radiation exposure just as we do. Protect your pets, give them a RA*D*AR for improved health and save on Vet bills.

You have got to be joking...

When you look at the research conducted in the mobile phone bands it is very sketchy and generally concludes that more research is required. I have looked at quite a few studies and none of them are really complete or represent the sort of exposures experienced.
What is clear is that every time a paper is published showing a possible health effect it is quickly followed by another proving the opposite.
Whilst I have seen no clear proof one way or the other the research is very reminisent of research into smoking in the 60's and 70's. Who's seen that classic John Wayne interview saying how not smoking was unAmerican, in respose to all those researchers saying that smoking kills.
I would not be surprised if there was a sudden rash of lawsuits within the next 20 years.
When you are on a train how many mobile phones, blue tooth and other low level transmitters are you within range of? And when you enter a tunnel all the phones ramp up their power.
The cumulative effects have not been fully established, but until it is a lot of cash can be made, therefore it is not in the interest of certain businesses to encourage clarity in research.

Panda said:
Who's seen that classic John Wayne interview saying how not smoking was unAmerican, in respose to all those researchers saying that smoking kills.

People are trying to address the "dumb celeb" problem, at least. Whether they succeed remains to be seen

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/6d3202e4-9acf-11db-bbd2-0000779e2340.html

Actually, a cell phone is more likely to save your life then take it via radiation, by a far shot.
As you spend 5 minutes pondering this idea, you have already been exposed to thousand of different types of radiation, and therefore could be taking damage.

what about radiation and possible health effects from cell phone towers? i only ask because one is going to be constructed about 2 blocks from my house. i tried to find some info on them, but most seemed to be from cell phone companies - and therefore are probably not to be trusted.

Saber said:
Yes, it is.

Gokul43201 said:
Yes, it is.

:rofl: :rofl:
Good one Gokul. I can't get enough of these funny commercials.

Saber said:
Absolutely! A car accident is four times more likely when using a cell phone.

smithg86 said:
what about radiation and possible health effects from cell phone towers? i only ask because one is going to be constructed about 2 blocks from my house. i tried to find some info on them, but most seemed to be from cell phone companies - and therefore are probably not to be trusted.
The answer is the same as with the cell phones themselves. If the frequency of the radiation doesn't interact with your body, it still won't interact with your body if you turn up the wattage.

What is it about cell phones that has people so spooked? People have been listening to the radio for a hundred years!

yes they are
they cause people to act like idiots
esp when driving

ray b said:
yes they are
they cause people to act like idiots
esp when driving

A good point well made...

russ_watters said:
The answer is the same as with the cell phones themselves. If the frequency of the radiation doesn't interact with your body, it still won't interact with your body if you turn up the wattage.

What is it about cell phones that has people so spooked? People have been listening to the radio for a hundred years!

do you have any sources for this info? any research?

I believe that the debate in society has to some extent moved away from ionizing radiation, because it is easy to debunk and moved over to somewhat question the influence of magnetic fields. At least in the area where I live.

The problem is how do you conduct a true trial with adequate controls.
If you test rats in a lab you are not exposing them to all the different sources of radiation that humans are subjected to each day.
If you look at health effects across regions there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration. e.g. the statistical links between power lines and childhood lukemia.

My opinion is that whilst none of these sources is harmful on its own the cumulative exposure chips away, and those people who are genetically predisposed to various cancers will be at a slightly increased risk. Of course I can't prove that one way or the other.

If GSM is bad for us, then we should really already have seen the effects, considering the density of GSM radio masks. In fact, there are even located inside buildings these days.

I want a piece of plastic that protects me from radiation after it has already penetrated my body. That company should create a patent for their devices that are capable of retrocausality and the ability to transport cells and molecules back in time to prevent this damage from occurring.
Sounds tight!

Anttech said:
If GSM is bad for us, then we should really already have seen the effects, considering the density of GSM radio masks. In fact, there are even located inside buildings these days.

Are we not already seeing the effects?

Peoples health is not the same as it was 20 years ago. There are a lot of theories about why but no single set of causal effects have been identified.

Why is there an increase in reported cancers?
Better diagnosis?
Food Additives?
Poor Diet?
Pollution?
Increased RF Radiation?
Staring at this computer monitor?

I'm not saying there is a causal link, but I'm also not saying there is not.

Well then it looks like you aren't saying much of anything! Just kidding, my friend :P

I can appreciate your position but I would lean towards a better understanding of cancers because of molecular genetics, biochemistry, advancements in technology, etc.

Although, my perception might be distorted.

Panda said:
Are we not already seeing the effects?

Peoples health is not the same as it was 20 years ago. There are a lot of theories about why but no single set of causal effects have been identified.

Why is there an increase in reported cancers?
Better diagnosis?
Food Additives?
Poor Diet?
Pollution?
Increased RF Radiation?
Staring at this computer monitor?

I'm not saying there is a causal link, but I'm also not saying there is not.
I am saying there is not. There is no evidence to suggest EM waves at that frequency harm humans. Would you like to back your speculation with a study or two?

Anttech said:
Would you like to back your speculation with a study or two?

would anyone like to cite their speculations?

would anyone like to cite their speculations?
Proof needs to be provided that there gsm is harmful not the otherway around :rolleyes: Normal procedures I am afraid... Burden of proof and all that!

Anttech said:
Proof needs to be provided that there gsm is harmful not the otherway around :rolleyes: Normal procedures I am afraid... Burden of proof and all that!
GSM isn't widely used in the US, CDMA is the most common.

I am saying there is not. There is no evidence to suggest EM waves at that frequency harm humans. Would you like to back your speculation with a study or two?

Google it. THere are dozens of books on EM wave effect on life. THere have been documented harm effects of EM fields. Also good effects, now we can even regrow teeth with week pulses. THere have been military antenas for submarines disasemled due to their impact on nearby ppl [ofcause only after years of fight against govt, mil, and corp lobies]. If you live under high powe lines you better move..[also documented].

There we go the most popular:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0688069711/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0156281007/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Evo said:
GSM isn't widely used in the US, CDMA is the most common.

I not not up to speed on the CDMA standard, but I think I will presume that at layer 1 it converges on GSM methodology. Perhaps the time framing standards are different, and the way it multiplexes time slots together. So the effect on humans will be much a muchness even if the way it is implemented is slightly different.

http://www.protocols.com/pbook/cellular.htm

Globally we know GSM is implemented more than CDMA
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm
According CDG.org, CDMA networks support over 270 million subscribers worldwide, while GSM.org tallies up their score at over 1 billion. As CDMA phones become R-UIM enabled and roaming contracts between networks improve, integration of the standards might eventually make differences all but transparent to the consumer.

http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

Although this is not really going to effect this debate, as the underling technology is more or less the same, I would still be interested where you got that information from? I know CDMA is used in the USA, but I thought the sim cards where dual GSM CDMA. however more network's where actually using the GSM standard, since it has been around for longer.. I could be wrong so feel free...

Anttech said:
I know CDMA is used in the USA, but I thought the sim cards where dual GSM CDMA. however more network's where actually using the GSM standard, since it has been around for longer.. I could be wrong so feel free...
No, I believe that CDMA is unique to the US. As is IDEN. Europe was always way ahead of us in cellular technology with GSM.

We don't have SIM cards in the US. It's really sad. If you buy a Phone on "network A", you can't use the phone on "Network B" by simply switching out the SIM card, you have to buy a whole new phone.

Evo said:
No, I believe that CDMA is unique to the US. As is IDEN. Europe was always way ahead of us in cellular technology with GSM.

We don't have SIM cards in the US. It's really sad. If you buy a Phone on "network A", you can't use the phone on "Network B" by simply switching out the SIM card, you have to buy a whole new phone.

Wow, the EU commission wouldn't like that. They are fighting all the time at decoupling the handset from the provider, to increase market competition.

Saber said:

Absolutely. You could be cheerfully talking on the phone one minute, carrying on a spirited conversation about nothing of consequence, and the next minute someone at the next table in the restaurant gets up and beats the @#$% out of you.

We don't have SIM cards in the US. It's really sad.
BTW interestingly enough, I was speaking to a relation of mine whom lives in LA and he just bought the new blackberry pearl handset, and he has a SIM card. The phone will jump from gsm cdma, probably when roaming i guess.

Last edited: