Are colors a result of electrons or the atoms themselves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the science of colors and specifically, the color blue. The color blue is caused by atoms reflecting blue wavelengths of light and absorbing other wavelengths. The question is raised about which part of the atom absorbs the other wavelengths of light and whether it is the atom as a whole or its electrons. The conversation also mentions Edwin Land's theory of color constancy and provides a link to an article discussing it. Additionally, the conversation touches on the concept of F-Center and the conversion of unreflected light into heat.
TofuSubmarine
Hi Everyone.

I am confused about the science of colors. I will use an example in my question. I know that the color blue is caused by atoms reflecting blue wavelengths of light and absorbing other wavelengths of light. What I don't understand, however, is which part of the atom actually absorbs the other wavelengths of light? Does the atom as a whole absorb the wavelengths other than blue, or do its electrons do that? If the atom as a whole absorbs these wavelengths of light, how does it do that? And if electrons are responsible for absorbing these wavelengths of light other than blue, why don't they emit these colors when they drop back down to a lower energy level?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is probably not the answer you are looking for because it has nothing to do with atoms, but color is perception and is not as straightforward as what wavelengths are entering your eye. You might want to look into Edwin Land's 'color constancy' theory:

Likes artyb
Here's a link to an article. I didn't realize that he was able to get color vision by illuminating with just two wavelengths of 579 and 599 nm. Pretty cool.

http://www.greatreality.com/Color2Color.htm

Edit: forgot link!

I would think that the unreflected light is converted into heat, which could be re-radiated as infrared or conducted away into the surroundings.

1. What is the relationship between electrons and color?

The color of an object is determined by the way that electrons interact with light. When light hits an object, some of its wavelengths are absorbed by the electrons in the atoms of the object, while others are reflected. The reflected wavelengths determine the color that we see.

2. Are colors a result of the atoms themselves or the electrons within them?

Colors are a result of both the atoms and the electrons within them. The arrangement and energy levels of electrons in an atom determine how they will interact with light and ultimately determine the color of the object.

3. Can color be changed by altering the number of electrons in an atom?

Yes, the number of electrons in an atom can affect its color. For example, when an atom gains or loses electrons, its energy levels and electron arrangement may change, resulting in a different interaction with light and a different color.

4. How do different elements produce different colors?

Each element has a unique atomic structure, with a specific number of protons, neutrons, and electrons. This structure determines the energy levels and arrangement of electrons, which in turn affects the way the element absorbs and reflects light, resulting in different colors.

5. Can the color of an object change without changing its atoms or electrons?

Yes, the color of an object can change without any change in its atoms or electrons. This can occur through physical or chemical changes, such as changes in temperature or exposure to certain substances, which can alter the way light interacts with the object and therefore its perceived color.