Are Complex Numbers Truly Magical?

In summary, complex numbers are often described as "magical" and "miraculous" due to their ability to perform calculations that cannot be done with real numbers. They are used in various branches of mathematics, including complex analysis and calculus. While some may find them intimidating, they are simply an algebraic structure on pairs of real numbers and do not involve any supernatural forces. However, their usefulness and versatility have led some to consider mathematicians as modern-day "magicians."

Are complex numbers "magical?"

• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters
Telos
Are complex numbers "magical?"

So I'm reading Penrose, and all of sudden he explodes into excitement like a schoolgirl, fawning over complex numbers because they are "magical" and perform "miraculous" things, further spilling exclamation marks in the surrounding paragraphs about how he's only scratched the surface of "number magic!"

What do you think? Are complex numbers "magical?" Do they perform "miracles?"

Can someone show me a complex number equation that applies to the real world and performs a "miracle?"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By de Moivre's formula:

exp(pi) ~ 23.14
exp(i*pi) = -1 where i = -1^(1/2)

Thats pretty magical to me.

Please elaborate.

Define "miracle"!

Yes complex numbers are magical, I love complex numbers, I will be proposing to them next week I love them that much. The amount of times my lecturer has made an assumption or supposedly proven stuff and I put my hand up and said "but what about in complex numbers" to show they had not rigourously enough defined their proof is just magical :biggrin:.

Telos said:
Please elaborate.
Since you insist on physical world magic, two words, contour integration.
From a perspective of pure connectivity, I have more fun playing with another pair of words, Riemann sphere. :biggrin:

they are magical because they frighten timid people and reserve for the initiates a special status as wizards. when wonks become wizards, some kind of miracle has definitely occurred.

Some results from calculus in the complex plane (complex analysis):

z is a complex number, a + bi ,where a and b are real.

We say that a function is f(z) is analytic if it has a first derivative defined by:

[tex] \frac {df}{dz}(z_0) = lim_{h->0} \frac{f(z_0 + h) - f(z)}{h}[/tex]

Theorem: if a function is analytic in a region, it can be represented by a convergent taylor series in the region (it has derivatives of all orders automatically, unlike in real calculus).

We can also define line integrals over paths in the complex plane the same way we define them in multivariable calculus.

Theorem: The integral of an analytic function over a closed loop is zero.

[tex]\oint f(z) dz = 0 [/tex]

You know when functions have a division by zero? These are classified as "poles". Depending how severe the divide by zero is, you have higher and higher order poles. If it is infinitely severe, we call it a singularity. Functions are not analytic at poles.

All poles leave behind a certain residue. This is calculated by a simple limit, but it is a little hard to explain (read a book on complex analysis).

One of the most important theorems in complex analysis is this:

[tex]\oint f(z) dz = 2\pi i \Sigma Residues[/tex]

which can be used to evaluate normal integrals such as:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{sin(x)}{x} = \pi[/tex]

It's magical, for we are mathemagicians.

[tex]\mathbb{MATHEMAGICS}[/tex]

Thank you all. You've provided very good food for thought. Crosson, thank you for going through the trouble of writing all of that. It is intriguing to see imaginary numbers succeed where real numbers fail.

Icebreaker, you beat me to my next question. ;) If numbers can be so magical, why don't we just be serious about it and call mathematicians "magicians." Really - let's be serious about it.

magic n.
The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural.

Imaginary numbers are supernatural numbers.

supernatural adj.

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
5. Of or relating to the miraculous.

I say if we get enough people in the right universities, we can stage a worldwide magicians coup.

Math is the OTHER kind of magic -- where the hand is quicker than the eye; no supernatural forces are invoked. That is, if you don't understand how it's done, then it will seem magical to you, let it be pulling rabbits out of a hat or complex numbers.

The "imaginary numbers" is simply an algebraic structure on pairs of reals (we need never mention i but it is a useful thing) and nothing magical at all. Its unfortunate christening as imaginary and the others as real has almost caused more harm than good, as this thread shows.

1. What are complex numbers and why are they considered magical?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i" and is equal to the square root of -1. They are considered magical because they have unique properties that allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers.

2. How are complex numbers used in science?

Complex numbers are used in various branches of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are often used to represent alternating currents in electrical circuits, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They also have applications in computer graphics and cryptography.

3. Are complex numbers necessary for scientific calculations?

No, complex numbers are not always necessary for scientific calculations. Many problems can be solved using only real numbers. However, there are some cases where complex numbers are the only way to accurately represent and solve a problem, making them an essential tool in certain scientific fields.

4. How do complex numbers relate to the real world?

Complex numbers may seem abstract, but they have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in the study of electrical circuits, which are essential for powering our modern technology. They also play a crucial role in understanding quantum mechanics, which is the basis for many technological advancements.

5. Can complex numbers be visualized?

Yes, complex numbers can be visualized using the complex plane. The real part of a complex number is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. This creates a two-dimensional graph where complex numbers are represented as points. This visualization can help in understanding the properties and operations of complex numbers.