Are Eigenstates of operators always stationary states?

In summary: A},\hat{A}]=\hat{A} \hat{A}-\hat{A} \hat{A}=0.$$In summary, the eigenstates of Hermitian operators, representing possible wavefunctions of a system, are stationary states if the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian. This is because the time evolution of the state is given by a phase factor, which does not affect the probability distribution function. However, in the case of a free particle in free space, the Hamiltonian may not commute with itself, leading to a time-varying probability distribution function.
fog37
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if the eigenstates of Hermitian operators, which represent possible wavefunctions representing the system, are always stationary wavefunctions, i.e. the deriving probability distribution function is always time invariant. I would think so since these eigenstates arise when the system is bound... Am I correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The eigenstates of an Hermitian operator are stationary only if that operator commutes with the Hamiltonian of the system.

Likes haider and QuantumQuest
Ok. I hear and accept that.

Let's just focus on the Hamiltonian (energy operator). Its eigenvalues can form a discrete or continuous set depending on the physical situation. To each eigenvalue correspond an energy eigenstate. Are the energy eigenstates always stationary states?

fog37 said:
Ok. I hear and accept that.

Let's just focus on the Hamiltonian (energy operator). Its eigenvalues can form a discrete or continuous set depending on the physical situation. To each eigenvalue correspond an energy eigenstate. Are the energy eigenstates always stationary states?

Does the Hamiltonian always commute with itself?

Likes QuantumQuest and Orodruin
Let's work in the Schrödinger picture. Then the state vectors carry the entire time evolution, while the essentially self-adjoint (Hermitean is not sufficient!) operators that represent the observables are time-independent (we leave out the somwhat more complicated case of explicitly time-dependent observables). Then the state vector obeys
$$\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_t |\psi(t) \rangle = \hat{H} |\psi(t) \rangle.$$
Obviously the formal solution solution of this equation is
$$|\psi(t) \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} t \right ) |\psi(0) \rangle.$$
Now suppose at the initial time ##t=0## the system has been prepared in an energy eigenstate ##|\psi(0) \rangle=|u_E \rangle##. Then you have [corrected in view of #6]
$$|\psi(t) \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} t \right ) |u_E \rangle =
\exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} E t \right ) |u_E \rangle,$$
which means that the time evolution of the state is just given by multiplying ##|u_E \rangle## with a phase factor.

Now since the physical content of the state ket is just given by Born's rule, i.e., if you have a complete set of compatible observables ##A_i## (##i \in \{1,\ldots,n \}##) and ##|a_1,\ldots,a_n \rangle## a complete set of common eigenvectors of the corresponding essentially self-adjoint operators ##\hat{A}_i##, then the probability (distribution) to measure at time ##t## the values ##(a_i)## is given by
$$P_{\psi}(t,a_1,\ldots,a_n) = |\langle a_1,\ldots a_n |\psi(t) \rangle|^2,$$
a phase factor doesn't play any role, i.e., for the above case that an energy eigenstate is the initial state of the system, the probability distribution is time-independent
$$P_{\psi}(t,a_1,\ldots a_n)=|\langle a_1,\ldots a_n |u_E \rangle|^2.$$
Thus, the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian represent stationary states of the quantum system.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest
vanhees71 said:
$$|\psi(t) \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} t \right ) |u_E \rangle = \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} E t \right ) |u_E \rangle,$$
which means that the time evolution of the state is just given by multiplying ##|u_E \rangle## with a phase factor.

Perhaps you meant:

$$|\psi(t) \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} t \right ) |u_E \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} E t \right ) |u_E \rangle,$$

o_O

Thanks.

Wouldn't it depend on the type of Hamiltonian operator?
There is a the free space Hamiltonian operator (if the potential is zero) and other Hamiltonian operator depending on the form of the potential operator involved...

In the case of free particle represented by a wavepacket traveling in free space (zero potential), the probability distribution function expands (hence varies) in time. What does it say about the Hamiltonian for that particular system?

fog37 said:
Thanks.

Wouldn't it depend on the type of Hamiltonian operator?
There is a the free space Hamiltonian operator (if the potential is zero) and other Hamiltonian operator depending on the form of the potential operator involved...

In the case of free particle represented by a wavepacket traveling in free space (zero potential), the probability distribution function expands (hence varies) in time. What does it say about the Hamiltonian for that particular system?

An operator ##H## commutes with itself if ##HH = HH##

That doesn't leave a lot of room for any operator to get out of that one!

I am familiar with what you are saying.

Ok, but isn't the Hamiltonian a composite operator involving the potential energy operator and the kinetic energy operator? I would think that depending on the type of potential operator, the Hamiltonian may or may not commute with itself.

fog37 said:
I am familiar with what you are saying.

Ok, but isn't the Hamiltonian a composite operator involving the potential energy operator and the kinetic energy operator? I would think that depending on the type of potential operator, the Hamiltonian may or may not commute with itself.

So, for a non-self-commuting operator, H, we have:

##HH \ne HH##?

PeroK said:
Perhaps you meant:

$$|\psi(t) \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} t \right ) |u_E \rangle = \exp \left (-\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} E t \right ) |u_E \rangle,$$

o_O
I don't see any difference between my formula and yours, or am I overlooking something?

vanhees71 said:
I don't see any difference between my formula and yours, or am I overlooking something?

You just missed out the ##\exp## from the last expression.

Argh, yes, you are right. I'll correct it. Thanks.

fog37 said:
I would think that depending on the type of potential operator, the Hamiltonian may or may not commute with itself.

Write ##H = T + V##, where ##T## is kinetic and ##V## is potential. Then write out the product of ##T + V## with itself. Then switch the order of the factors in each term. Does the product change?

Likes QuantumQuest
Well, trivially any operator commutes with itself. The commutator of two operators is defined by
$$[\hat{A},\hat{B}]=\hat{A} \hat{B}-\hat{B} \hat{A}.$$
Now set ##\hat{A}=\hat{B}##, and you immediately get 0!

PeroK said:
Does the Hamiltonian always commute with itself?

If the Hamiltonian is explicitely time dependent in the Schrödinger picture, then H(t1) will not strongly commute with H(t2). This is actually the root cause for Dyson's series.

Likes QuantumQuest and PeroK
dextercioby said:
If the Hamiltonian is explicitely time dependent in the Schrödinger picture, then H(t1) will not strongly commute with H(t2). This is actually the root cause for Dyson's series.
If the Hamiltonian is explicitly time-dependent it would generally not make any sense to talk about stationary states anyway.

Likes PeterDonis
dextercioby said:
If the Hamiltonian is explicitely time dependent in the Schrödinger picture, then H(t1) will not strongly commute with H(t2).

That's because H(t1) and H(t2) in this case are different operators. The OP was talking about the time independent case, where you just have the single operator H that never changes.

1. What are eigenstates and stationary states?

Eigenstates are quantum states that correspond to a definite value of a physical quantity, such as energy or momentum. Stationary states are eigenstates that do not change with time, meaning the probability of finding the system in that state remains constant.

2. Are all eigenstates of operators stationary states?

No, not all eigenstates are stationary states. Only certain eigenstates of Hermitian operators, such as the Hamiltonian operator, are stationary states.

3. Why are eigenstates of operators important?

Eigenstates of operators are important because they represent the most fundamental and stable states of a quantum system. They also allow us to make predictions about the behavior of a system and its observable quantities.

4. How do eigenstates relate to the uncertainty principle?

Eigenstates of non-commuting operators, such as position and momentum, cannot exist simultaneously due to the uncertainty principle. This means that the more precisely we know the state of one operator, the less we know about the other.

5. Can a system be in a superposition of eigenstates and still be a stationary state?

Yes, a system can be in a superposition of eigenstates and still be a stationary state. This is because the superposition is a combination of stationary states that do not change with time, resulting in an overall stationary state.