1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are electricity and magnetism more alike or different?

1. Jun 14, 2004 #1
    ive been doing some thinking to a question brought up by my advanced physics teacher...i can't really back up any of my responses though...any help on whether electricity and magnetism are more alike or different?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

You couldn't go far wrong saying "more alike." Your ammunition to back this up with is that both electric field components and magnetic field components are elements of the Faraday tensor. That means, given the rules for tensor transformation under a boost (which is just a way of saying calculated in two different reference frames, one moving at uniform velocity with respect to the other), that there will be a mixing of the electric and magnetic field components. So they really can't be all that different, eh?

4. Jun 15, 2004 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An electromagnet made of a battery, a wire and a nail will show the conection between electricity and magnetism.

A strong magnet, a wire and an ammeter will show the connection between magnetism and electricity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?