Are electrons or protons attracted due to their magnetic moments?

In summary: Lorentz force is not always at right angle to direction of movement.If the charge is different or the identity of...But now consider the charge moving in nonuniform magnetic field, where the field lines converge at a pole.The Lorentz force is still at right angle to magnetic field and direction of movement. But considering the simple case of field and motion direction at right angle: since the field lines along the circle are not parallel, the Lorentz forces along the circle no longer cancel out with each other and centrifugal force. They leave a resultant force away from the pole.In summary, at large distances the Lorentz force is greater than the magnetic moment force. However, at short
Javier Lopez
Does electrons or other particles attracted towards a magnet due its magnetic momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a force towards regions of stronger magnetic fields. Which can be towards a magnet but doesn't have to be. The Stern-Gerlach experiment is one example.

For free charged particles typically electric fields acting on the electric charge are more important.

Likes Javier Lopez
I suppose that the Lorentz force is greater also than the magnetic moment force

At large distances I have seen that the force is:
$$
Fm=\mu \frac{q_{m1}*q_{m2}}{4*\pi *r^2}\\\\
Fe=\frac{1}{4*\pi*\epsilon_0 }*\frac{Q_1*Q_2}{r^2}
$$

As long as magnetic moment of deuterium es 8e-24 and charge is 1.6e-18 the electrostatic force is 3.6e25 times higher.
At short distances things changes drastically as long as magnetic moment force rises with 1/r^4 and accordingly my calculus cancells electrostatics field force for deuterium-deuterium at 2e-13 m that I supposse falls within QM equations.
What is approximately the validity range of classical approach?. In my simulator I use classical approach to calculate magnetic fields and EM forces due coils

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
What is approximately the validity range of classical approach?
Compare the usual parameter sets (position&momentum, energy&time, spin) with the Planck constant. If they are large a classical approach might work.

I don't see how you got 2e-13m but it looks way too large.

I have made a more approximate calculus and obtained 4.97e-13 that is more large.
I obtained that data using the classical aproach:
$$
F_e=K*\frac{Q*Q'}{2^2}\\\\
F_m=\frac{3*10^{-7}*m1*m2}{r^4}*(-3*cos(\theta )*cos(\varphi)+sin(\theta)*sin(\varphi)*cos(\phi ))\\\\
F_m max(\varphi,\theta,\phi=0)=\frac{3*10^{-7}*m1*m2}{r^4}*(-3)
$$
Where the electrostatic force at 4.97e-13 was 9.34e-4 Newtons
And magnetic force almost similar. I used for deuterium magnetic moment 7.95e-24 J/T (and all angles=0 to have maximum magnetic force)

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
I used for deuterium magnetic moment 7.95e-24 J/T (and all angles=0 to have maximum magnetic force)
I don't know where you got that value from but it is three orders of magnitude too large.

Likes Javier Lopez
You must be true, I multiplied the deuterium magnetic moment 2.79284734 by Born magneton (9.274009994E-24 J/T) instead of nuclear magneton: 5.050783699e-27 J/T
Thank you very much, now I can correct my equations

Now the equilibrium point is 2.7e-16 m where both forces are 3.17 kiloNewtons
2.7 e-16 is a lot lower than the square root of the cross section of the deuterium-deuterium reaction

Last edited:
2.7e-16 m is also smaller than the size of the deuterium nucleus. They cannot come that close and the formulas you used break down before that, in addition the strong interaction is dominant at very small distances.

I agree at all. At larger distances it gives me an idea of how an external magnetic field could help to increase the cross section, but I should be sure having the correct coefficients

About the Planck constant I suppose that I have to use the h=1.986-25 J/m, so for 650KeV protons we should have:

$$\frac{h}{E}=\frac{1.98644*10^{-25}J*m}{650000 eV * 1.6021*10^{-19} J/eV}=1.9*10^{-12}m$$

That is close to the famous 2 picometers where strong forces have a minimum

Last edited:
The strong force is completely irrelevant at 2 picometers. And I don't think the distance you calculated has a meaning.

Javier Lopez said:
That is close to the famous 2 picometers where strong forces have a minimum

Not very famous - I never heard of such a thing. At 2000 fm the strong force is effectively zero.

The other numbers seem to be from random equations.

A magnetic pole actually repels a free charge like an electron or a proton, unless it moves precisely along a field line or is stationary.
Magnetic momenta, such as that of a neutron, which has no charge, are attracted to magnetic poles.

snorkack said:
A magnetic pole actually repels a free charge like an electron or a proton...
Why?, magnetic moment of loops makes them attract between them in 180º degree range and repels if in the 180º opposite directions like magnets does.

Attachments

• 525px-ReidPotential.jpg
    525px-ReidPotential.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Now consider where 2000 fm would be on that scale.

Likes Vanadium 50
You are right, I deleted the wrong part

Javier Lopez said:
Why?, magnetic moment of loops makes them attract between them in 180º degree range and repels if in the 180º opposite directions like magnets does.
Consider a charge regardless of sign moving through uniform magnetic field with parallel field lines in direction other than directly along the magnetic field.
If the movement of the charge is at right angle to magnetic field then Lorentz force is at right angle to direction of movement and magnetic field - to the centre of a circle, balanced by a centrifugal force. If the movement of the charge is at an acute angle to magnetic field then the Lorentz force is still at right angle, but now to axis of a helix.

But now consider the charge moving in nonuniform magnetic field, where the field lines converge at a pole.
The Lorentz force is still at right angle to magnetic field and direction of movement. But considering the simple case of field and motion direction at right angle: since the field lines along the circle are not parallel, the Lorentz forces along the circle no longer cancel out with each other and centrifugal force. They leave a resultant force away from the pole.
If the charge is different or the identity of magnetic pole is different, only the direction of circling will change. The resultant repulsive force on a moving charge is the same: always from stronger magnetic field to weaker.

Likes Javier Lopez
No. An ion at rest has no magnetic moment. The ion would have spin angular momentum which affect particle internal energy levels only. Magnetic fields only interact with charges in motion.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
shjacks45 said:
Magnetic fields only interact with charges in motion.
... and spin, which this thread is about.
shjacks45 said:
The ion would have spin angular momentum which affect particle internal energy levels only.
That is not true. See e.g. the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

shjacks45 said:
An ion at rest has no magnetic moment.

That is not true. In fact, the H+ ion's magnetic moment has been measured to something like nine or ten decimal places.

mfb said:
... and spin, which this thread is about.That is not true. See e.g. the Stern-Gerlach experiment.
I assume you think Stern-Gerlach experiment use stationary particles?

The motion is irrelevant for the force acting on the particles. It's just there for the convenience of the experimental setup.

If you are here to reinforce misconceptions you have then this won't work well.

Likes Vanadium 50
shjacks45 said:
No. An ion at rest has no magnetic moment. The ion would have spin angular momentum which affect particle internal energy levels only. Magnetic fields only interact with charges in motion.
No, an ion at rest with a magnetic moment interacts with a magnetic field as a bar magnet at rest interacts with a magnetic field. If the magnetic field is homogeneous, there's only a torque to the effect of orienting the magnetic moment in direction of the field. If the magnetic field is inhomogeneous there's also a force. For magnetostatics it's ##\vec{F}=\vec{\nabla}(\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B})##.

The SGE works in fact because of both effects: On the one hand you have an inhomogeneous magnetic field leading to a force on the (electrically neutral!) particle leading to the entanglement between position and spin-##z## component (when making the magnetic field's homogeneous part, which should be large to point in ##z##-direction) and at the same time you have this large homogeneous part of the field such that the magnetic moment of the particle rapidly precesses around the ##z## direction such that effectively only the ##z## component of the magnetic field is relevant for the particle's motion.

Likes etotheipi

1. What are magnetic moments?

Magnetic moments refer to the property of a particle or object to have a magnetic field associated with it. It is a fundamental property of elementary particles such as electrons and protons, as well as larger objects such as atoms and molecules.

2. How are magnetic moments related to electrons and protons?

Electrons and protons have an intrinsic magnetic moment, which means that they naturally possess a magnetic field. This is due to their spin and charge, which are the two components of an electron or proton's magnetic moment.

3. Are electrons and protons attracted to each other due to their magnetic moments?

No, electrons and protons are not attracted to each other solely due to their magnetic moments. While their magnetic fields do interact, the main force of attraction between electrons and protons is the electromagnetic force, which is much stronger than the force of their magnetic fields.

4. Can electrons and protons be repelled by their magnetic moments?

Yes, electrons and protons can be repelled by their magnetic moments when their magnetic fields are in opposite directions. This is known as diamagnetic interaction and is a weak repulsive force between particles.

5. How do magnetic moments affect the behavior of electrons and protons in a magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, the magnetic moments of electrons and protons will align with the direction of the field. This can cause particles to experience a force and move in a circular or helical path, depending on their charge and the strength of the field. This phenomenon is known as the Lorentz force.