Are emergent properties real?

• Thread starter Cato
  • Start date
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Turbulence?

Protein folding too - despite being a molecular phenomena it is treated adequately with classical mechanics due to the atoms being approximately classical at all reasonable temperatures.
Hi chill factor. Turbulence is not unlike Benard convection. Protein folding however, is on that mesoscopic scale where we might expect non-separability. Read the paper by Laughlin referenced above as he mentions this too.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Turbulence is not unlike Benard convection.
I'm not personally convinced that "turbulence" is intrinsically any more complicated than the behavior of other simple dynamical systems, like the classic infinite series ##x_{n+1} = ax_n(1-x_n)##. One of the nice things about dynamical systems is that there are good physical reasons why they almost always have basically 1-dimensional behavior.

The hard parts about studying dynamical systems are (1) figuring out what are the right questions to ask about them to get "simple" answers and (2) figuring out the "simplest" generalized variables to use to describe them.

But whoever is the first to answer those type of questions for the Navier Stokes equation is in line for a $1m prize, so even if I knew part of the answer I wouldn't publish it on PF :smile:

Can somebody give a simplification/summary of Anderson and Laughlin's arguments?