Is Online Forum Culture Boring for Engineers and Techies?

• Thread starter Capt. Obvious
  • Start date
In summary, the people in General Discussion are not boring. The person is looking for a social environment that is not facebook. They think that our educations have made us boring.
Capt. Obvious
I joined this site to get away from the rampant stupidity of other forums, but I find myself getting bored extremely quick. Is this a non-social environment or something? or have our educations made us boring? I can't quite figure this place out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, we're da*n boring that's quite true. Sometimes, I find myself so boring that I fall asleep in the middle of my

Hey, the people in General Discussion are NOT boring!

<pokes humanino>

so this is THEE subforum to post in huh?

You cannot find boring what you love :wink:

Capt. Obvious said:
so this is THEE subforum to post in huh?
This is "the" subforum for cool people here.

What's your favorite fish?

The kind that go for fisherman's bait. If I only had my experiences to go by, I'd say there are none.

What would be a social environment?

This isn't facebook.

Pengwuino said:
This isn't facebook.

ohhh.. so that's why nothing happens when I poke you.

Math Is Hard said:
ohhh.. so that's why nothing happens when I poke you.
You must be doing something wrong.

Capt. Obvious said:
I joined this site to get away from the rampant stupidity of other forums, but I find myself getting bored extremely quick. Is this a non-social environment or something? or have our educations made us boring? I can't quite figure this place out.

Do you really think it's us that's boring? Maybe this is more your problem than ours. Is there anything interesting about you? Such as a poker chip painted by H. Matisse that you use to fill an eye socket left empty by a freak accident with a gyroscope?

BobG said:
Do you really think it's us that's boring? Maybe this is more your problem than ours. Is there anything interesting about you? Such as a poker chip painted by H. Matisse that you use to fill an eye socket left empty by a freak accident with a gyroscope?

Ok really, we won't find a second person like that in a week!

Check out some of the GD classic threads, 2004 was a good year for the GD froum. And engineers can't be boring because most of them are weird.

I think it's just the problem that message forums just get tedious. It's not scientists/engineers that are boring as a people, it's the internet.

Solution: Get off your computer, go out, and get a life! :P

Capt. Obvious said:
Serious is boring if you aren't serious yourself.

Capt. Obvious said:
... Is this a non-social environment or something? or have our educations made us boring? ...

Judging by the thousands of users who log in and post everyday from all over the world, I'd say we are the exact opposite of non-social. :approve:

Also, I dare say that having an education gives one more things to talk about. At least more interesting things, in my opinion.

Lastly, we are most certainly not boring! :cool:

Last edited:
I think someone is a bit confused.. you were looking for:

http://www.psychic-forum.com/forum/"

Or maybe:

http://psychoforums.aceboard.com/"

Tell Dionne hi for us:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the stereotype surrounding engineers/techies and their personality?

The stereotype is that engineers and techies are often perceived as boring or socially awkward individuals who are more interested in their work and technology than in social interactions or hobbies.

Why do people think engineers/techies are boring?

People may think engineers and techies are boring because they tend to have a strong focus on their work and may not have as much time or interest in other activities. They also may have a more analytical and logical thinking style, which can be perceived as less exciting or entertaining by some.

Is it fair to label all engineers/techies as boring based on a stereotype?

No, it is not fair to label all engineers and techies as boring based on a stereotype. Just like any other group, individuals within this field have diverse personalities and interests. While some may fit the stereotype, others may not.

What are some common misconceptions about engineers/techies and their personality?

Some common misconceptions about engineers and techies are that they are solely focused on their work, have no social skills, and lack creativity. In reality, many engineers and techies have a balance between work and personal life, can be sociable and have hobbies outside of their field, and are often very creative problem-solvers in their work.

Are engineers/techies actually boring?

No, engineers and techies are not inherently boring. As with any group, there may be individuals who fit the stereotype, but overall, engineers and techies are diverse in their personalities and can be just as interesting and engaging as anyone else.