Are engineers with a Phd scientists ?

• Thread starter omega_M
  • Start date
I'm an engineer, but the Dutch name comes from the Latin ingenium. The English term comes from the word engine. In my case it would mean "an intellectual who uses his/her scientific knowledge to solve practical problems", the other meaning is "a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering". I wouldn't say the latter is a scientist, is an architect a scientist?
since when biologists are engineers? :confused::confused: you dont design any machin you only study them if we consider live cells and bodies as machines and systems.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
since when biologists are engineers? :confused::confused: you dont design any machin you only study them if we consider live cells and bodies as machines and systems.
That's where the two definitions I expained come in: ingenium vs engine-eer.

Chris Hillman
Science Advisor
Example of a silly (inflammatory?) comment

Since when biologists are engineers?
Biologists are not engineers. The subject they study, biology, is unengineering :wink:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, here is a great little picture book explaining how biomolecules act in the living cell like crudely undesigned nanobots bumping into each other, opening flaps and shutting valves, grabbing things and sticking them onto conveyor belts, and so on: David S. Goodsell, The Machinery of Life, Springer, 1993.

Last edited: