Are Fetuses Parasites? Requirements & Argument

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jooze
  • Start date
In summary, The requirements to be a parasite are that a fetus leeches nutrients from its mother and that is not true parasitism.
Jooze
What are the requirements to be a parasite? There is an argument suggesting that fetuses are considered parasites, since they leech nutrients from their host, in this case, their mother.

It feels like the obvious answer is that fetuses are not parasites, but I want to know why.

Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
Jooze said:
What are the requirements to be a parasite? There is an argument suggesting that fetuses are considered parasites, since they leech nutrients from their host, in this case, their mother.

It feels like the obvious answer is that fetuses are not parasites, but I want to know why.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PF. Could you provide links to articles that take one position or the other? That would help us to not duplicate stuff that you already have read. What is the context of your question?

abortion rhetoric aside, fetal physiology is fairly well studied. My text (http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/697456/description#description ) is at work, however IIRC the fetus takes Calcium from the mother; usually this presents no problem but loss of bone in the mother is a possibility:

http://www.endotext.org/pregnancy/pregnancy3/pregnancy3.htm

Maternal malnutrition results in a poorly developed fetus; the fetus does not cannibalize the mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
*waiting patiently for a joke about teenagers*

Math Is Hard said:

:rofl:

It's definitely symbiotic in the long term in most cases.

Jooze said:

I think it is clear that fetuses are not parasites. This is not my field, so I can't be sure of the answer to the question, why. However, I suspect one reason relates to the issue of genetic reproduction. A true parasite is trying to pass on it's own genes and steals nutrients from a host, while a mother is trying to pass on its own genes. ... or, something like that, although I'm sure I'm not saying it correctly.

Last edited:

:rofl:

While fetii may be functionally parasitic, I expect true parasitism disqualifies genetic kin from the equation, including only other species.

Alternately, if you consider the Selfish Gene (that we are merely vehicles for our genes to get around in), parasitism does not apply, since the gene's goal is to propogate itself, meaning the relationahip definitely works in favour of the gene attempting to get itself replicated.

Last edited:
Preliminary remarks:
1. Where is Jimmy Snyder? This thread is begging for one of his remarks.
2. If you have one, ask your pregnant wife whether fetuses are parasites. However, do watch out for flying objects and flying retorts when she blames you for ruining her body with your parasite.

Math Is Hard said:
Do jokes about 20-something parasites count?

1. What is the definition of a parasite?

A parasite is an organism that lives in or on another organism (called the host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the expense of the host.

2. Are fetuses considered parasites?

This is a controversial topic and there is no clear consensus among scientists. Some argue that fetuses can be considered parasites because they rely on the mother for sustenance and can cause harm to the mother's body. Others argue that fetuses are not parasites because they are genetically related to the mother and have the potential to become independent organisms.

3. What are the requirements for something to be considered a parasite?

According to the definition, a parasite must live in or on a host organism and derive nutrients at the expense of the host. Additionally, the parasite must cause some harm or detriment to the host.

4. What are the arguments for and against considering fetuses as parasites?

Those who argue that fetuses are parasites point to the fact that they rely on the mother for sustenance and can cause harm to her body. They also argue that fetuses do not have a symbiotic relationship with the mother, as they do not provide any benefits in return. On the other hand, those who argue against considering fetuses as parasites point to the fact that they are genetically related to the mother and have the potential to become independent organisms. They also argue that the relationship between a mother and her fetus is a unique and complex one that cannot be simply classified as parasitic.

5. How does the debate about fetuses being parasites impact reproductive rights and policies?

The debate about fetuses being parasites can have significant implications for reproductive rights and policies. If fetuses are considered parasites, it could potentially justify restrictions on abortion and give the government more control over a woman's body. On the other hand, if fetuses are not considered parasites, it could strengthen arguments for protecting a woman's right to choose and make decisions about her own body. Ultimately, the debate about fetuses being parasites is closely tied to larger discussions surrounding reproductive rights and policies.