Are fourier series unique?

In summary, the coefficients for a given function with a finite period are unique, but the converse is not necessarily true. This can be seen in the example of a function and the same function shifted by a constant. The non-constant terms in the Fourier series will be the same, while the constant term will differ by the integral of the function over the interval plus the constant multiplied by the length of the interval. Proper constants must be included in the calculation.
StatusX
Homework Helper
For a given function with a certain finite period, is there only one set of Fourier series coefficients [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex]? The reason I ask is, I was doing a problem where it asked for the coefficients for a certain odd function, and then it asked for the coefficients for that same function shifted up by a constant. Are all the [tex]b_n[/tex]'s the same, and [tex]a_0[/tex] just twice the constant? I tried real quick using the definition to see if this came out the same, and it didn't, but I might have made a mistake. Could there be two series for the same function?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a function, the coefficients are unique, though the converse is false.

Consider the example of f(x) and f(x)+k, for some k, which is how I read your query.

Then, since the integral of ksin(nx) and kcos(mx) are zero over the interval, it follows teh non-constant terms are the same, and the constant term is then the integral of f(x)+k, which is the original constant integral plus k times the length of the interval. Note, I haven't allowed for dividing by 2pi or anything since that is a non-canonical choice, and I hope you can fill in the constants properly.

The answer to whether Fourier series are unique depends on the context in which they are being discussed. In general, Fourier series are unique in the sense that for a given function with a certain finite period, there is only one set of Fourier coefficients that can be used to represent the function. This means that for a given function, there is only one set of coefficients that will produce the same Fourier series.

However, in the specific case mentioned in the content, where the function is shifted up by a constant, there can be multiple sets of coefficients that can produce the same Fourier series. This is because shifting a function up by a constant does not change its periodicity, and therefore the same set of coefficients can still be used to represent the function. In this case, the b_n coefficients will be the same, and a_0 will be twice the constant.

It is important to note that even though there may be multiple sets of coefficients that can produce the same Fourier series, the resulting series will still represent the same function. So while there may be different ways to represent a function using Fourier series, the end result will be the same.

In conclusion, Fourier series are unique in the sense that for a given function and period, there is only one set of coefficients that can be used to represent the function. However, in certain cases, there may be multiple sets of coefficients that can produce the same series, such as when the function is shifted up by a constant.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate periodic functions in various fields of science and engineering.

2. Why is uniqueness of Fourier series important?

The uniqueness of a Fourier series is important because it ensures that a given periodic function has a unique representation as a sum of sine and cosine functions. This allows us to accurately analyze and approximate the function using a finite number of terms.

3. How is the uniqueness of Fourier series proven?

The uniqueness of a Fourier series is proven using the Dirichlet's theorem, which states that if a periodic function satisfies certain conditions, then its Fourier series will converge to the function itself. This implies that the Fourier series is unique for that function.

4. Are there any exceptions to the uniqueness of Fourier series?

Yes, there are some functions that do not have a unique Fourier series representation. These functions are called pathological functions and they do not satisfy the conditions of Dirichlet's theorem. However, these functions are rare and most functions have a unique Fourier series.

5. How is the uniqueness of Fourier series applied in real-world situations?

The uniqueness of Fourier series is applied in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound processing, and data compression. It allows us to accurately approximate and analyze periodic signals, making it a valuable tool in many scientific and engineering applications.