Are human actions part of evolution?

• Thread starter Snip3r
  • Start date
And please to all, im not a tree hugger and i am not just parroting rhetoric. Im diabetic and was told point blank by my own physician that a lot of the artificial sweeteners i was consuming were really bad for me. I know there is no genetic differences in a tomato grown in my garden as opposed to those in the supermarket. But mine arent loaded with pesticides. And nothing ive ever hunted and killed for food has ever made me sick. None of the fish ive caught have either. When we are dicussing this topic my understanding and meaning maybe misinterpreted. I like modern convenience as much as anyone else. But these preservatives and additives (artificial coloring and dyes) things that are present in highly processed foods do have an impact on your health and many of them are negative. I'll just leave it at that.

:smile:

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
@gjonesy, I'm going to have to ask for references to all that if we want to continue this discussion. And since discussing whether your claims are accurate or not is well off-topic for this thread, you can send me a private message if you'd like to continue.

Laroxe
Science Advisor
I think we need to consider that the original post was about evolution, one of the processes involved in how life changes over time.
Humans have developed an elaborate immune system, largely because our pathogens evolve, they change. We can never consider that our immune system can protect us from all threats, only the ones it recognises and many we will face don't exist yet. I presume the current pandemic should provide evidence enough of that.
I don't know what aspects of cancer you have studied and there are a large number of factors that can effect a persons risk, but it is a complex group of diseases and its true that there are things in our environment that can increase risks, most of these are in fact quite natural and include bacteria, viruses and food products. However cancer results from a number of changes in a cells DNA and the risks of these changes increases with each cell division, as we age these changes accumulate increasing the risk of cancer. So children 0-14 and young people 15-24 each make up less than 1% of the total. Adults aged 25-49 contribute (9%), those aged 50-74 account for (54%) and the over 75 (36%)

The link is to the UK figures but they can be generalised.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/incidence/age#heading-Zero

Information about diet is notoriously unreliable and even when the evidence is reasonable there are always people wanting to distort it in some way. Organic diets are a case in point, the claims are that they provide more healthy vitamins, really the same could be said of any plant based diet, they have lower levels of heavy metals this only reflects the soil they were grown in, and fewer pesticides. This is an interesting one as plants have been engaged in chemical warfare with their predators since they developed, they are much better at it than we are. Its estimated that 99.9% of insecticides we ingest are from the plants we eat and many of the insecticides we use have been developed from plant sources.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/06/13/9999-pesticides-we-eat-are-produced-plants-themselves-11415

There is some evidence that our diet can influence the risk of developing certain diseases, though this is frequently overstated but I've yet to see any convincing evidence of a significant effect on overall mortality at the population level.

Likes Drakkith and BillTre